Chapter 20

Erebus flinched as the bells began their midnight toll, but they were quickly drowned out by the voices carrying conversations around him. Smiling faces and joyous music filled the halls, and finally he was able to reach the two people near the back. "Erebus!" Sophie squealed and threw her arms around him in a crushing hug. "I thought we weren't going to get the chance to see you alone. Congratulations! I'm so happy for you two."

"Thank you, Sophie," Erebus embraced his pseudo-big sister back with just as much enthusiasm. "Thank you so much for coming."

"As if we'd miss watching you sell your freedom away," Dáithí snorted into his goblet.

Sophie whipped a hand against his chest, and he choked. "Only you would see our baby brother getting married as a bad thing," she snapped. "Be nice."

"At least I have the sense not to marry my own damn cousin."

"Don't say it like that, Dáithí," he groaned as Sophie's eyebrows flew up. "She's not... Gods above, my father's brother's wife's sister is Theo's mother. Cousins by marriage, technically, but that hardly counts."

"Thank the gods," Sophie breathed out before smacking Dáithí again. "Don't scare me like that!"

"Stop hitting me!" he snapped back. "It's not my fault you're so damned gullible!"

"Guys, guys!" Erebus burst out laughing and grabbed them both by the shoulders. "It's my wedding night. Relax! Eat, drink, dance for gods' sake! We can go back to ribbing on each other tomorrow, if you insist, but tonight just enjoy yourselves!"

Dáithí's scowl softened just slightly, and he dragged Erebus into a tight hug. "Congratulations, brother," he growled.

"Thank you," he broke away. "Now, I'm going to go find my gorgeous wife, and truly celebrate the happiest day of my life!"

"I think she got her Erebus's mixed up," Sophie giggled and nodded over his shoulder.

Erebus turned to see the gigantic form of his grandfather dancing enthusiastically with Theo, who was laughing so hard she could barely keep up. It was delightful and childish and funny, and it was only because of those reasons that it didn't cause such a stir with both human and dragonkin attendees. The elder Erebus was a sight to behold, and it was well known that he wasn't technically allowed on the island. It made no difference to the young yfeerie. Dragon politics were way above his realm of understanding. He might be a lordling now, but once his powers awakened, he wouldn't be anyone special.

Excited to join in, Erebus raced up behind his mother, caught her around the waist and dragged her onto the dance floor. "Erebus!" she gasped as Kalidas roared with laughter behind them. "You know I hate dancing!"

"You are a terrible liar, mother," he scolded her gently and twirled her. "Even if it was true, you don't get to deny your son on his wedding day!"

Ainsley rolled her eyes and relented, letting him guide her across the dance floor until they were next to Theo and the elder Erebus. Theo was an absolute mess, almost crying from laughing so hard, and Erebus's face was alight with a massive grin. "What have you done to the poor girl, papa?" Ainsley covered her mouth to hide her own giggling.

"I couldn't let a woman without a sense of humor join the family," Erebus boomed before hooking an arm around his grandson's neck and dragging the three of them into a crushing hug. In a much quieter voice, he said "I'm proud of you, Erebus. She will make you a better, happier man. Be sure to make her a better, happier woman in return."

"Thank you, grandfather," the younger Erebus beamed, unable to look away from Theo's smiling face. "I will do everything in my power to make her happy."