Chapter 2 | Bloody Courtship (2)

* * *

One side of the man’s cheek was red. It was from the blood of a wound that had not yet healed.

[] “I had to deal with something urgent, so I’ve arrived late. Please, take a seat.”

The man reached out his hand and pointed to one of the empty chairs.

…Calm down. Just breathe.

There seemed to have been a battle, but even so, the Tiwakan leader arrived at the promised location. Whatever happened was apparently not worth any real concern for him.

[Rienne] “I greet the head of Tiwakan. I wonder what could have happened that delayed our meeting and kept your marriage partner waiting.”

[] “…Something unexpected happened.”

…As she thought. The reinforcements had arrived.

Rienne bit her lip to keep herself from smiling instinctively.

[Rienne] “If it was such a surprise, then I’m not certain you should be spending your time with me, Lord Tiwakan. We can always postpone this meeting for a later date. We’ll be in contact again the moment your affairs are in order.”

Things were completely different if the reinforcements were here.

Nauk was being given a chance to fight, not roll over and surrender. As if having the same thought, Weroz’s eyes turned bright.

The man, the very same who arrived with blood on his face with the intent to propose, just wiped his cheek; entirely unbothered by the situation.

[] “It’s fine.”

After he rubbed his cheek, there was blood on his hand.

…The smell of blood.

Rienne’s eyes narrowed unconsciously and she took a step back. That blood could belong to someone from Nauk.

The man walked towards Rienne, his gaze piercing her.

[] “Shall I ask for your answer now?”

Rienne grit her teeth to keep herself from trembling.

[Rienne] “I…”

Even now, his eyes were like that of a beast. Just looking at them made her tongue curl up inside her.

The man looked at Rienne as if he were in the midst of capturing her before looking behind him and calling out to someone outside.

[] “Bring it.”

[Mercenary] “Yes, My Lord.”

Someone was quick to answer, as if Tiwakan’s Mercenaries were outside waiting for his orders.

Swish.

Once the curtain was pulled back, a male monk entered.

There was a sword in his hands.

It was a long sword with various gems and jewelry pieces embedded in the hilt. Normally, it was the kind of sword typically used by knights from aristocratic families.

[Rienne] “This is…”

Rienne’s face turned pale like the dawn light. Seeing what she did, Weroz gasped.

This was a sword used by the knights of the Arsak family. It was the same sword worn at the waist of her lover who had left, promising to return in ten days.

…He’s dead.

There was blood on the sword. The same color as the blood on the man’s cheek.