Chapter 1: Dragon Trappers

It was a normal day at Berk, with the hundreds of Berkians living peacefully with the hundreds of dragons in their home of seven generations.

Stoick, the chief of Berkians, had just finished preparing for the celebration banquet that night. It will be a very special ceremony, where he will announce his retirement and make his son, Hiccup Haddock, the new chief of Berk.

"To where has that brat gone to?" Stoick said as he slammed his fist on the table.

Gobber shrugged and sat down beside his fellow companion, a mug of beer in his hand.

"Nobody knows. Hiccup's been missing since Dragon racing this morning."

"Always missing, and never there for his people. How could he lead like that?"

"Well, maybe you should consider postponing your little 'retirement vacation'," Gobber replied, but his voice gradually softens as Stoick gave him 'the stare'.

"Look, we both know how this will go. You'll give the news and Hiccup will most probably run away from his responsibilities and you'll end up doing everything by yourself anyways," Gobber tried to reason with Stoick. "He's just not built for those kinds of stuff, y'know?"

Stoick shook his head. "He's my son, and I believe in him no matter what. I should've trusted him since the very beginning. That's the least I could do as a father," Stoick replied, still feeling guilty over the accounts of defeating the giant dragon five years ago, causing Hiccup to lose a limb.

Just then, a strong gust of wind blew the doors of the great town hall wide open. A gigantic black figure lands right in front of Stoick and Gobber while a familiar face appears before them.

"Hiccup! You're here! Now don't go anywhere else, we've got an important event toni-"

"Dad, Astrid and I found-"

"You've got to look your very best! I say you take out your mother's helmet and-"

"There are other dragon riders out there! Well, dragon trappers to be exact, but the point is-"

"I've even got a new suit specially made for you son! And a big fur cape that'll surely go well with your identity as the mighty dragon master-"

"-that guy Eret? He says that they work for Draco bloodfist? Drago bloodfist? Drago..."

"Bludvist."

"Yea yea yea that's right! Drago bludvist. Well, Astrid and I are going to find him and-"

"NOBODY'S GOING ANYWHERE AND NOBODY'S LEAVING THIS ISLAND, BE IT BERKIAN OR DRAGON!"

Stoick's words left Hiccup stunned. Before the latter could react, Stoick has already ordered all dragon hangers to be kept shut and warriors to be on high
alert.

"Dad, what are you doing?" Hiccup hurriedly tried to stop his father, but to no avail.

"Drago Bludvist is a madman. He once came to the gathering of chieftains, offering protection to us from the dragons if we serve him. Of course, we laughed and mocked him, but turns out he wasn't joking."

At this point, the memory of the traumatic event seems to be etched on Stoick's face.

"His dragons attacked, and I was the sole survivor."

From Stoick's words came the story of the bloodthirsty Drago who had been building his dragon army for more than a decade. Any normal viking would be scared and wary of this 'Drago' by now, but not Hiccup. After all, he is no normal viking, he is the dragon master after all.

"No dad, I'll go talk some sense into Drago, just like how I did with you! Trust me dad, I'll make it work somehow."

"You can't be reasonable with Drago! Nobody could! He's mad, Hiccup! He's-"

But it was too late. Hiccup has already escaped Berk on Toothless, leaving his raging father behind.

"Hiccup!"

Astrid tried to follow her brunette lover, but ended up being shut inside.

"Hiccup...stay safe..."

-----

"C'mon buddy, we've got to find Drago's base."

Hours of seemingly aimless flying later, Hiccup patted a discouraged Toothless gently on his head.

Whoosh

Toothless heard something among the clouds.

Whoosh

This time, Hiccup heard it too.

"Careful buddy," Hiccup whispered to his dragon companion, while the night fury showed his teeth, ready for battle.

A mysterious figure rose from the clouds, standing from a gigantic dragon. The peculiar mask on their face prevented Hiccup from catching even a slight glimpse of their appearance, but they seem to show no evil intentions towards the dragon rider and his stead.

"Toothless, catch up!"

On and on they flew, following the mysterious figure ahead, until they arrive at a giant iceberg in the middle of the ocean, which seems oddly familiar to Hiccup.

"The dragon trapper's fort we've seen this morning!" Hiccup exclaimed.

Once inside, the masked figure approached Hiccup and Toothless cautiously, and so did all the other dragons inside. Hiccup tried to communicate, but it seems that the mysterious figure does not speak his language, or so he thought.

"Uh, I'm sorry what are you doing-"

The mysterious figure suddenly stopped.

"Could it be?" A female voice mumbled from beneath the mask.

"But you were so young..."

-----

"I have no use for rings of gold, and I care not for your poetry. I only want your hand to hold I only want you near me~"

"...if you would marry me!"

Gobber: "-meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee~ alright I'm done."

Stoick hugged his long lost wife tightly in his arms while Gobber and Hiccup watched from aside. Ever since he could remember, 'mother' was missing from his life. But now, after almost 20 years, fate has once again gave Hiccup Haddock a complete family.

"Oh Valka, you look as beautiful as the day I lost you."

Valka smiled and embraced her husband. For 20 years she has lived in guilt and grief, and so has Stoick. But now, by fate or whatever it is, the Haddocks had reunited once more.

"Valka, will you return to Berk with me? With us? Please?" Stoick asked as he knelt down on one knee in front of Valka, as if the day he proposed to the love of his life.

"Oh Stoick, for whatever reason will I say no to you?  And to Hiccup?" Valka replied, her eyes full of love and longing for the one man she owe so much to. She then turned to Hiccup and held his hand tightly in hers, "I'll teach you everything I've learnt this past 20 years. We can do so much more for the dragons back on Berk-"

"-and we could win against Drago!" Hiccup interrupted. But the excitement he anticipated did not show on his mother's face. Instead, she only looked concerned and fearful.

"Hiccup, Drago Bludvist isn't someone we mess with. I've spent years rescuing dragons from his hands and still I've not yet succeeded in finding his weakness. He is cruel and strong and listens to no one! His dragons fear him! His relationship with these majestic creatures are nothing like you and I."

Valka then showed Hiccup and Stoick around the ice fort. In the very centre of it stood the colossal dragon, the ice-spewing bewilderbeast.

"That is the Queen of the hive, the alpha of dragons. This place, this dragon utopia, is built by her powers, and she protects all the dragons here."

Suddenly, a spark of lightning appeared right above the bewilderbeast. Out of nowhere, a white fury appeared with its rider, a barefooted hooded figure.

"As for that," Valka pointed to the approaching person, "that is Estrid Bludvist, daughter of Drago Bludvist."