Sixteen |

Sixteen |

I opened my mouth but no sounds came out. Instead, I let him go, thick tears rolling down my cheeks. He was wrong. I could imagine exactly how much a person could hate themselves. I wailed loudly, slamming my fists into the bed, over and over without the satisfaction that I was doing actual damage to myself. I wanted to combust, and I wanted it to hurt. I slammed my fist down again, the edge of my knuckle snagging on the duffle bag. The short spark of pain had me pause, my breath ragged as I used it to ground myself back to reality. 

I turned my attention to it, carefully pulling down the zipper and I started to slowly unpack the contents of the bag. Each article of clothing had been folded neatly—even the panties and bras. Funny enough, I didn't feel embarrassed by it. I suppose I shouldn't the man had already seen more than enough of me. I giggled at the thought, pulling out the makeup bag, my white sneakers, and at the bottom of the bag was Mr. Tooth. My red dragon plushie. I paused for a moment, surprise filling me.          

Gabriele had brought me one of my stuffed animals? 

That was so...nice. I couldn't process it but I was so grateful. I blinked away the second round of tears, holding the plushie close to my chest and just absorbing the moment. The plush smelt like Mia: that tinge of vanilla assaulting my nose. It had been such a long day, and I was so fucking tired. I crawled across the bed, and burrowed under the blanket. I didn't even move the duffle bag or the pile of stuff. My eyes felt so heavy. 

Sleep came coated in vanilla. 

I dreamed of Mia.

"Poppy!" She laughed, kicking open my door. 

I jolted up from my bed, a smile on my face. I'd been waiting for half the night for her. She'd texted me almost two hours ago and I was getting worried; but there she stood. With a little white shopping bag in her hand. My interest was perked. 

"What took you so long?" I giggled. 

She slid under the covers with me, and handed over the bag, "Here."

I looked at it curiously, "What is it?"

"A little token for my little," she teased. 

I opened the bag, looking down at the red dragon plushie. A squeal slipped from my lips as I pulled it out and hugged it closely. He was so cute and soft and warmed a part of me that never healed properly. I named him Mr. Tooth silently before looking at her with teary eyes. 

"Why?" I sniffled. 

She pat my head, "I heard your mom tried to talk to you. She came to your work?"

Something inside me darkened. 

"Y-yeah," I whispered, "Yeah. Security kicked her out." 

"I'm sorry that happened." 

I could only nod and hug the plushie close. It didn't matter, nothing did but us. 

When I woke up, it was nighttime. I pressed my fingers to Mr.Tooth with a smile before sliding out of the bed. I found the bathroom connected before showering and changing into a brown pleated skirt and a white shirt with long socks. I dried my hair, pulling my blonde locks back into a ponytail, and I even put on a splash of black mascara which made my blue iris pop. I felt more like myself as I pulled on my black hoodie. 

My stomach growled loudly so I went on the hunt for some food. Slipping out the door and down the hall, following the sound of voices. As I stepped down the stairs, I paused, my eyes widening. On the counter was Elena, with her slender legs wrapped around Giuseppe as he was tongue deep in her mouth. I felt a tad of vomit surge up my throat.