Chapter One: The Tale of a Cruel World

"To rise, one must first fall..."

|
|
|

|Musutafu City, Shizuoka Prefecture, Japan, 2XXX|

{Narrarator Perspective}

The view centers on the streets of Musutafu City, located in the prefecture of Shizuoka, Japan. A normal bustling city, if you consider the fact the world has developed superpowers over the generations. A peculiar baby in China born with the ability to glow would be the first, and soon after many more instances of strange abilities and happenings with newborn children began to sprout around the world.

After the world slowly adapted to the changes in the human race, the population of the Earth now sits at around 80% possessing quirks, while the other 20% are quirkless, that is, not possessing quirks at all.

The season was mid-spring, the rain pouring over the night streets heavily, like a blanket covering a sleeping child. It cast a gloomy, cold feeling in the air, and only those who were unfortunate would be caught in its waters. Amidst the darkness of the night, a lone figure perches on the edge of a roof, observing three unsightly men below. These men surround a woman who is backed against a wall.

"Disgusting," the figure starts, their voice gritty and deep, masculine, "always picking on those who're outnumbered or weaker than them." The figure, now standing up, a flash of lightning illuminating their form. A tricorn adorned their head, and a silver mask with no features but holes for eyes covered their face. A cape held at the neck, a coat, soaked and dingy from use sat over an unseen shirt, and pants accompanied by high-ankled boots. Two gloves, one silver, the other leather, sat on the figure's hands. A number of ornaments were strapped and held to the ensemble, such as a pouch on the hip, some chains around the waist, and a small scarf resting around the neck.

 A number of ornaments were strapped and held to the ensemble, such as a pouch on the hip, some chains around the waist, and a small scarf resting around the neck

Gazing down at the scene below the unknown man jumps down, their feet shifting for a moment as they land, no sound being emitted. Carefully, and quietly stalking toward the three men, the masked man raises his hands, their forms melting as they shift to what looks like ash, as they reform into hands holding a reasonably sized maul.

The man steps ever closer, his eyes never leaving the woman, who has not yet noticed the new arrival in the dark corner of the alley. His voice rings out, startling both the men and the woman, "I hope you're not planning on doing what I think you are." The man grates out, his voice like sandpaper, scaring all present. "O-*hic*-Oh Yeah! Whad are yoouuu gon' do, huh?" one of the men slur out, indicating his inebriation. "If you're so interested..." the masked man begins, "...I will be removing your foul teeth from your rotten skull, you fat piece of shit," he said calmly. "WHAD, " begins the inebriated one, "YOUS THIN YEr-*hic*-gon' hur MEeEeeee!?" His slurring is grossly apparent.

The masked man continues his approach to the group, the other two men grinning with malice written on their faces. They too slur, but the masked man pays no mind, simply facing his attention on the cowering woman, who is slowly inching her way across the wall she was pressed against earlier. As the men all drop their guards, not noticing the large, imposing weapon carried by our supposed protagonist, the woman makes her way out of the alley, the figure now making eye contact with the man who spoke first. All that is seen of their face is pale green, almost grey or white, eyes that gain a terrifying glint in them. The figure is no longer restricted, free to punish these no-good sinners and clean another lump of rotting trash from the streets.