13. JADE

7th January, 2018

"And you're sure the Bexley's are okay with hosting this?"

Olivia scoffs. "They better be. Our best friend just agreed to marry their asshole of a son."

"Yeah, they weren't the ones I was worried they wouldn't want to host."

"I promise I'll be on good behaviour."

"Thank you," I smile as I kiss Ollie. I can see its killing her to even think about having to chum it up with Drew's family. But she's trying. "I love you," I whisper against her ear.

Olivia laughs. "You shouldn't do that, sweetie."

"Why?"

"Because then we'd never be able to get out of this bed today."

I laugh as Ollie lifts me off of her, her hands firm on my waist. "Fine," I groan, faking sadness. "But only because we have to be out of the house by 11."

"Only because we have to be out of the house by 11," she smiles back.

*

I cannot believe I am standing in front of a literal fucking mansion. Ollie always told me that Drew's family was rich. Stupid rich. Old money rich. But I never expected this. I did a little reading up on their family before coming here. Drew's father owned a bank. He was the president right until he died last year. Then, Theo took over a couple months later, as soon as he turned 32. His mom owns about half the saloons that cater exclusively to Hollywood stars willing to pay north of a thousand dollars just to look the same.

Don't judge me. I don't want to walk in there like a deer in headlights. If I ever do, walk in there. I'm standing on their porch (is it called a porch or some pretentious thing only rich people know about), a bottle of chardonnay in one hand, Ollie's hand in the other. She's slightly stroking my palm with her thumb. She always knows how to calm my nerves. I'm just about to say something to her but the massive door in front of us opens. And of course it's a butler.

"Good morning. The Bexley's are ready for you now."

Why is this so formal? I would absolutely freak out if Ollie wasn't here. The butler takes the chardonnay from me and leads us to the...room. I have no clue what these rooms are called. Foyer? Dining room? I'm going with chandelier room. Feels appropriate.

My thoughts are interrupted by a sweet, velvety voice I take to be Drew's mother's.

"You must be Jade and Olivia. Welcome!"

I'm too stunned to say anything so Olivia handles the introduction and small talk.

"Please, sit down. Make yourself at home."

I finally regain my senses. "Thank you so much for hosting this, Mrs. Bexley. We felt horrible because we couldn't give Soph a proper engagement party. Everything looks beautiful."

"Call me Alice, sweetheart. And I think you have your lovely partner to thank. Olivia helped plan all of this."

I smile at Ollie. "She is pretty great."

Ollie cannot handle praise. She blushes as she clears her throat, changing the topic. "So, will we be meeting Avery and Theo today?"

Alice smiles widely. "Ah, yes. They did not want to miss this. Avery's just upstairs, working on some new case of hers. Theo ran out to get something out of the garage. I'm just praying it isn't his god awful cello," she laughs heartily.

I can't help but laugh with her. I absolutely love Theo but the cello just isn't his thing. Just as I see Avery walk down the staircase, I take a deep breath.

This is going to be fun.