A dance with death.

A/N: trigger warnings:
- Minor character death
- gun violence.

Planets and stars twinkled in the sky above him, Jimmy gripping the metal bar between his thighs as he reached out toward the yowling animal in front of him, barely flinching as it swiped at his arms. He gently lifted the Tiracat, and slowly lowered it down to where its owner was awaiting with outstretched arms.  

The small thing began to purr, as Old Lady Evergreen cradled it gently in her arms, scratching it gently behind the ear. "Thank you kindly Sheriff. I just hope that this little rapscallion decides to stay put where it's safer next time. Hopefully that wasn't too stressful of a task for ya'." 

Jimmy smiled, beginning to climb down the large steel structure. "It's no problem, ma'am, I'm always happy to help out the community." 

He dropped down to the ground, observing the blooming cloud of red dust that formed as he dusted his hands on his jeans. He'll have to clean them soon. He adjusted his oxygen mask, making sure that it was still sealed on his face, so as to not let the Mars air bleed through any gaps.

Old Lady Evergreen was about to say something else when someone came up behind Jimmy, startling him as a calloused hand landed on his shoulder. He saw his deputy, Norm, standing behind him, his eyebrows creased in concern. "Hey, Jim." 

Jim smiled. Treat people the way you want to be treated. "What's up, man?" 
Norm frowned. "I just came to let you know that there's been word of a bandit milling 'round the old storage unit. I'm about to leave to go take care of it, I thought it'd be best to advise you to stay away. We just don't wanna risk another 'Incident.'" 

Jimmy frowned. "No, if there's trouble around my Sector, I should be the one to take care of it. I'm the Sheriff. It's my job. I'll head out now."

Norm shook his head. "I'm not even gonna try to argue with you. You do you, Jim, I'll be there to clean up your mess."

Jimmy ignored him, marching off to the retired storage unit that was now just used for medical supplies. 

As he walked, he observed the blue and green planet visible in the sky. He'd been told that humanity used to live there mere decades ago. He wondered what it would be like, living on that rock of vibrant colors, not that long ago, but before they had evacuated to Mars, and the colonies were set up, and split into the many sectors where towns and villages were founded. 

He reached the storage unit, where he saw a blond figure, clad in red and black, with a different style of oxygen mask, fiddling with a strange device, muttering to himself. He approached the man, who looked up at him, eyes widening before settling into an expression of confidence. 

"Well, hi there! You must be the sheriff of this sector. I'm but a simple traveler passing through, just taking a gander at the lovely architecture of your buildings..."

Jimmy frowned, resting his hand on his Lazer holster. One shot from the energy bullets and you were down for the count. The bandit's gaze flicked to his own, and his fingers twitched slightly. Probably wondering who could make the faster shot. Fight, flight or freeze. Most would choose to fight. Fools would choose to freeze. That left flight. 

The bandit took off, Jimmy not far behind. He vaulted over boulders lying across their path, sprinting through the hot evening sun. He didn't trip or fall even once. The low gravity allowed him to leap and bound to such extreme heights it felt like he was flying. It was exhilarating, the wind in his hair rushing past him, moving faster and faster with the adrenaline curling through his veins, the bandit threw back a few teasing remarks as they ran, and it was almost fun. 

It was a brilliant dance with death, as they spun circles around each other, ducking through caves and leaping over ravines.

They came to a still in a clearing. Both panting. Jim didn't know how much longer he could go for. Neither did the bandit apparently, eyes flicking around their surroundings for an escape. He mustn't have found one, pulling his hands up behind his head, and taking a few steps forward. "Okay man, you got me."