Chapter 3 - Cracking the Box

Cal sat for a moment in silence, emotions warring for control as he stared without seeing out of the pod window. He wanted answers, but deciding which ones he wanted more was hard.

Travel Pod. Take me to Dr Takei.

His shoulders slumped and he sank back into the cushioning of his seat as the pod accelerated towards the last place he'd seen his friend alive.

~~~

"How are you coping, lad?" asked Takei as he sat him down in his office.

"I'm not," replied Cal, anger lacing his words. "I lost one of the only friends I've ever had, and I didn't even get to say goodbye."

Dr Takei bowed his head in apology. "I'm sorry, Cal, that was clumsy of me. I can only imagine how raw this still is. She was a lovely girl, and someone who lit up the room with her energy and zest for life." Takei reached into a drawer and pulled out a metal box about the size of his head. "She left this for you."

The doctor slid the box across the table, turning it so Cal could see the envelope resting on the top. On the front of the plain envelope were written the words "In the event of my death, please ensure this passes to my friend, Cal."

Takei rose from his seat and placed a hand on Cal's shoulder. "I'll give you a minute and see if I can find a glass of water or do something vaguely useful."

As the door closed behind him, Cal reached for the envelope.

Dear Cal,

I never wanted you to see this. But if you're reading my note, then something very wrong has happened and I am no longer with you. In the box are things only you should see, but trust Takei and talk to him, he's a good man. He's not always great at saying the right thing perhaps, but his heart is true.

And trust yourself, you're a better man than you know, and a true friend.

Jump when you need to jump. Do what's right, not what's comfortable. Be all you can be, which is probably a lot more than you think. Be you.

The box, and my heart, are yours.

Love always,

Hel.

PS. You're still a numpty =]

Before Cal could even try to open the box, Takei reappeared and passed Cal a tissue and a glass of water. Cal carefully folded the note back into its envelope and zipped it into a pocket.

"Thanks, Doc. Sorry if I was a little blunt earlier."

Takei sat down opposite and sipped from his own glass, watching the play of emotions across the younger man's face. "Helena's words have calmed you a little." There was no question, or inflection of curiosity in the doctor's words, merely statement. Cal nodded.

"Hel was always good at knowing what to say. And sometimes what not to say, which may be more important." Cal paused and looked at Takei. "She said I should trust you."

"That is your choice. But I appreciate you passing on Helena's comment. She and I talked a great deal over the years, and I always enjoyed her company. She was a wonderful girl."

"What's outside the City?" Cal's blurted question hung in the air between them, and Takei shifted uncomfortably. After a few moments, the doctor seemed to come to a decision, and stood abruptly, moving toward a nearby door.