[The Whole World is Watching]

WAKANDA - SIX YEARS AGO

Bucky and Nessa sat next to a fire as Ayo stood by.

Ayo said in English, "It is time."

"You sure about this?" Bucky asked uncertainly as he stared at the fire.

He was drawn back to the situation at hand when Ayo said, "I won't let you hurt anyone."

Ayo slowly walked around him as she said in Russian, "Longing." Bucky lowered his head, trying to fight the words. "Rusted." Ayo stepped closer. "Seventeen."

Bucky shook his head and said, "It's not gonna work."

Ayo continued. "Daybreak." Bucky breathed heavily and tears formed as memories of what he'd done as the Winter Soldier flashed in his mind. "Furnace." He saw Zemo closing the red book and saw himself punching the glass of his containment chamber and seeing Steve for the first time in 70 years. "Nine." He saw himself and Rosie fighting three of the Avengers. A vision of him strapped down for brainwashing flashed across his memories. He saw himself in his goggles and mask, then saw himself crash Howard and Maria Stark's car on December 16, 1991. He saw himself choking Maria after killing Howard.

"Benign," Ayo said. He saw himself trying to pull away Iron Man's face mask. He saw the brainwashing again. He fought the words Ayo spoke. "Homecoming." He saw himself after beating Steve near lifeless after he'd uttered the words that would alter his path for the better.

Bucky continued struggling against the words as Ayo said in Russian, "One. Freight Car."

Tears streamed down Bucky's face as he came to the realization that he was himself. He began crying harder, which soon turned to sobs of joy and relief.

Ayo smiled lightly and said in English, "You are free." Bucky glanced up at Ayo and she nodded as her smile widened. "You are free."

Bucky looked down and he closed his eyes tightly as he sniffled, still sobbing. Nessa pulled him close and ran a gentle hand through his hair.

Ayo let out a breath and smiled softly at him.

Bucky stared at the fire, a fist to his mouth, and smiled widely. He was free from hurting others. After decades of torture and memory wipes, he was finally free. He was finally able to live a life without the fear of turning into a killing machine. And maybe he and Nessa could eventually start a family.

Bucky turned to his wife and kissed her tenderly.

RIGA, LATVIA - STREET - PRESENT DAY

"How could you free him?" Ayo asked.

"We need his help," Nessa answered in Xhosa.

Ayo walked around Bucky and Nessa. "With time, will, and the resources, the Winter Soldier programming was removed from you like a rotten fur."

"And I'm grateful for that," Bucky replied. "I'm grateful for everything you and Shuri have done..." He glanced at Nessa, knowing that due to what Ayo and Shuri had done, that despite the nightmares and horrors he still remembered, they were able to live a life together.

Ayo continued in an angry tone. "Zemo murdered our King T'Chaka at the U.N. The man who chose us. Who chose me to protect him."

Bucky and Nessa glanced over their shoulders to Ayo, who had yet to make a full circle and said, "I understand."

"Very little, if anything, of our loss and shame."

Nessa let out a sigh as she looked at the ground. Bucky looked down, took a deep breath, and he said in Xhosa, "He's a means to an end."