Chapter 5, Treeburrow Falls

The rustic town was like nothing Bhuta had ever seen before. The mountain tribes weren't even close to this. There were dug out denlike houses (think hobbit holes) and shops along the dirt streets. Everything that was built was primarily made of oak wood, but there was also plenty of stone work. Cats trodded throughout with cloaks or other personal items, some were pulling carts with goods or deliveries. It seemed quite cozy and jovial.

"Ya look like ya neve' seen a town befo'e." Plum mewed at seeing the stunned leopard.

Bhuta didn't have any response but quickly tried to fix her composure into something more dignified and not a dumbfounded cub.

"Belle's Roaste'y is ove' yonde' nea' Den Street. She's mighty fine and makes da best steak dis side of Maple Rive'." Plum stated happily while pointing to a sign near a dirt path with the words, den street, on it.

Bhuta nodded wanting to satisfy her mortal hunger and not look any more undignified than she already did. Plum led the way through the bustling streets and some cats looked at the mighty leopardess with the dead bull on her back. Well, they looked till she looked at them with a great fury and they quickly went back to doing whatever they were doing.

The town had a sense of warmth to it that was new to the spirit. She didn't interact with others much unless it was making sure the spirits under her did their duty or blessing mortals and their land. So this was an entirely new experience for the mountain spirit. Everyone seemed to know everyone else as many greeted Plum and some even had short conversations.  They were all so jovial in a she rarely seen. It..., bothered her for some reason.

Their mortals, of course they wouldn't talk to me. Their..., their lesser. She thought, almost trying to convince herself. But in the end she couldn't help but feel..., lonely. Bhuta quickly shook off this notion.

Plum eventually led her to a dug out den shop with a blue oak door at the opening. A sign post near the door had fluid cursive esc runes reading, Belle's Roastery. A stone chimney poked out of the ground and had smoke coming out filled the the scents of grilled and roasted meat.

"He'e it tis, Belle's Roaste'y. Not ta brag ma'am, but mah mate owns dis place. She could cook a vultu'e and make it taste divine." Plum boasted as he led Bhuta into the shop.

Bhuta and Plum entered the shop and saw several tables with cats enjoying a variety of roasted meats from beef to venison. An orangish red leopardess with a shiny silver necklace was carrying plates on her back with meat giving them to happy customers.

When she gave the last plate, it had roasted chicken and smelled heavenly to Bhuta even if the spirit didn't want to admit it, and walked over to Plum and Bhuta. "Howdy Plum, what brins ya and dis little sugar here?" She then noticed the large bull on Bhuta's back. "Well I'll be."

"Howdy Belle, dis is Crys and she helped me hunt dis dig doggy." Plum then took a sniff and smiled a warm smile at his mate. "Ya smell divine as always."

"Greetings to you." Bhuta greeted as nicely as she could muster.

Belle chuckled softly. "Tis good for keepin customers, an keepin ya eyes off dose blades of yours." She purred and nuzzled Plum who nuzzled her back. She then broke away and gestured with her tail to a back room. "Ya'll can brin dat bull to da kitchen. Aah got some orders left an will join ya when aah done." Her mew was both elegant and very authoritative.

Bhuta obeyed, no matter how much she disliked having someone tell her what to do. She and Plum, who flirted a bit with his mate who flirted back, causing Bhuta to have to patiently wait. After the flirting session was over, Plum showed her the way to the kitchen.

It was quite cozy and a spit was set up in a stone fireplace. The smell of different kinds of cooked meat filled the room and could probably make even a royal drool. All the meat looked like it had been cooked earlier that morning and was being kept warm above smoldering coals. There was also a whitish lynx and another cat managing the kitchen and getting orders ready. Bhuta once again was impressed and amazed, feelings she was unhappily coming accustomed to. She rolled the bull off her back onto a platform, the blood on her pelt had dried looking like red moss on a mighty stone.

After awhile Belle came in, each step elegant and authoritative like a queen, it was clear who was in charge. The kitchen paws and Plum looked over at the leopardess at attention, though Plum also had more warmth in his gaze. At a swish of her tail the kitchen paws got out cutlery and roasting sticks putting them on the platform for her to use. Plum put his sheath full of daggers to the side and washed himself in a trough before helping them with their duties.

"Go an git yourself cleaned up sugar. Da steak will take awhile an aah can tell your hungry, so ya can grab some of dem chicken legs on yar way out. Come back ta-night if ya want some steak." Belle mewed kindly like a mother to Bhuta.

"Alright, I will." The large grey leopardess mewed with a nod and walked out of the kitchen and shop. She knew Belle was right and that she needed to get cleaned up. She walked around town before finding a lake at the center. She practically huffed and growled at her shabby blood stained fur. Bhuta took of her amulet and dropped her bag on top of it. It was nearby a similar looking bag.

Bhuta spent a great deal of time cleaning herself and grooming. This was both to make herself look dignified and to ignore all the happy jovial cats around the lake. They only reminded her of what she didn't want to, more like couldn't, admit. She groomed and cleaned herself to her pelt was elegant and spotless.

When she got out of the water she saw her bag had been taken and the other left. Bhuta put on her amulet and slung on the other bag in a fury. She looked around and saw an orange cheetah walking away unknowingly with her bag.

"Get back here you insolent rat tail!"