Chapter 24: The Conqueror

The day arrived sooner than Omrai expected, and he found little more intel than Sendevalians occupied the conquered cities along with the metal men. He and Revin had worked out what they believed to be an efficient system of coordination. Now that Omrai was his Trial-lord, Revin could master far more creatures. Over fifty gallimais were now under his control.

After several hours ride, Omrai, Revin, and several of his generals made their way across the plain to Spire Point. The landmark was a sleek spear which jutted high into the air, taller than Omrai's largest saurians by far. Near the base of the formation, a single canopy stood erected, filled with half a dozen people. The canvas was a pale grey, almost white.

They pulled to a stop right in front of the canopy. Omrai had to blink at what he saw. The canopy floated a dozen feet in the air, a dark metal cube at each of its four corners and one at the apex, pulling upward. There were no poles. Was this an optical illusion? If it were real, Jebuthar was showing off. Trying to intimidate by breaking the laws of nature.

His attention shifted to the six people standing under the canopy. Four wore the gold and blue of Sendeval, along with Densal Valen in her silver-golden armor. They stood at the back. One person stood in front, apart from the rest. He wore a robe of a reflectionless black velvet, a dark hood covering his head. He was shorter than the others, but they kept their distance, giving him a wide berth. Omrai could see the man's eyes looking out from under the hood. They met Omrai's gaze. For a moment, time froze. Each man trying to get the other to look away first.

The moment drew on, Omrai's surprise growing. He wasn't budging. The man hardly blinked.

He heard the rustle of straps and a grunt. Reluctantly, he turned to the sound. Revin barely recovered from stumbling off his mount, standing up straight and trying to look confident.

Omrai dismounted, and his generals followed suit. Then Omrai led the way forward under the canopy, walking straight toward the man in the robe.

"High General Omrai Speartip!" Jebuthar said with a voice that felt too large for the short man's body.

"What a pleasure it is to finally meet you," Jebuthar said with a smile and a slight bow. "May your burdens be light."

Now that he was close, Omrai focused his senses on Jebuthar's mind. He gasped. For the first time in his life. Omrai was baffled at what he saw. Jebuthar's emotions were like a beehive, infinitely complex interweavings of thoughts, emotions, plans, strengths, weaknesses.

The disorientation almost caused him to falter.

"May your burdens be light," Jebuthar repeated.

Omrai registered the response. Jebuthar used the common Ateyan greeting one gave to an equal or an inferior.

"Let's skip the pleasantries," Omrai said. "We are here to discuss terms of peace."

Jebuthar laughed.

Omrai's fists clenched. No one had laughed in his face in decades.

"No," Jebuthar said, "You don't understand, I am here to rule. You see, I am the only one wise and worthy enough. Other nations have agreed, and now it's your turn."

He looked at the Sendevalians. They tried to look calm, but he saw and felt what was really going on. Their eyes darted from Jebuthar to over their own shoulders. They shuffled as if uncomfortable. They stood stiff, muscles tight, eyes looking down often. The only one who didn't look cowed was the Princess, daughter of King Den Davod of Sendeval. She stood tall, her body tense in preparation for combat, her hand touching the hilt of her sword. She bore a harsh glare that he was surprised to find was not aimed at him, but at Jebuthar.