Part Three

Summer turned to fall faster than anyone would have liked. The heat was still there, allowing you to pretend for one last day that summer would be never ending. But when the sun set and you left Robin's house in the front seat of Nancy's car, you couldn't help the ball of dread that settled in your stomach on the drive home.

"At least it's senior year," Nancy said, trying to pull you out of your silence. "As long as you don't pull an Eddie you'll be done with school in nine short months."

She was right, as usual. But you weren't upset about having to go to school. You actually liked school. And you looked forward to carpooling with Robin each day. What you were dreading was the finality of senior year. This time next year you'd be a high school graduate. You'd be prepping for courses at the community college and probably still trying to decide what to do with your life.

The carefree fairytale of this summer was ending. The endless days at Steve's pool were over. Driving around with Robin and Nancy well into the middle of the night was over. Being able to see Eddie's band play every Tuesday at the local dive was over. Sure, you'd still be able to do those things sometimes. But the joy of teenage impulsivity had dwindled each day the calendar crept closer to the first day of school.

You and Robin were the last two of your group still in high school. Eddie had finally gotten his act together the last half of the previous school year and managed to graduate by the skin of his teeth on his second try.  He always said it was thanks to Nancy and Jonathan for kicking his ass into gear. But you all knew it was all him. As soon as someone other than his uncle believed in him, he could do anything. 

Robin picked you up in her mom's car. Bowie played quietly from the speakers as you drove across town. "I'm not ready for this," Robin sighed as she drove. "I want it to be summer again."

You agreed silently. You didn't trust yourself to speak. You were afraid you'd reveal just how much you were not looking forward to senior year and make her mood worse. And there was nothing you could think of that would be worse than dulling Robin's beautiful shine, even by accident.

When you found each other at lunch you could tell Robin's day was not going well. She was slouched even further down in her seat then normal as she picked at a bag of potato chips in front of her. 

"What's up?" You asked quietly, nudging her with your elbow as you reached to grab a chip from her bag.

She groaned, dropping her own chip back onto the table. "I hate senior year."

"And why do you hate senior year?" You probed gently.

"AP history is gonna kick my ass, the syllabus was, like, 100 pages long." She started, crossing her arms over her chest. "I got seated next to the most annoying kid in band. Oh, and the AC in Click's room isn't working so have fun with that."

"Oh, honey," you cooed. "It's only the first day. It'll get better." You placed your hand on her knee under the table. You had to admit that you were shocked when she jerked her leg away.

She stood from the table and quickly gathered her trash. "I'm uh…" she started as she backed away from your table. "Library. Going to the library." You started to stand, ready to join her. But she quickly stopped you. "Just gonna grab a book and head to study hall." She told you. And then she was gone. And you were left alone in the middle of the cafeteria.

The ride home that afternoon was quiet. But it wasn't the comfortable, calming quiet you were used to. It was awkward. Robin's hands were tight on the steering wheel as she stared through the windshield. You pressed yourself as far into the passenger side door as you possibly could. Your touch earlier had scared her and you didn't want to risk doing it again. So you sat in silence, stiff as a board against the door.