fourteen

Mark woke up with a splitting headache, one that made him immediately whine and clutch his head as soon as he gained consciousness. He rolled over and buried his face into his pillow, trying to block out the sunlight streaming in through his bedroom that was way too bright and was making his head throb painfully.

"Morning, sleepyhead."

Mark jumped, immediately turning around to try and find the source of the voice. He saw Donghyuck standing next to the bed, setting down a glass of water and a painkiller down on Mark's bedside table. Mark furrowed his eyebrows at him, looking up at him suspiciously.

"Hyuck? What are you doing here?" He croaked, his throat scratchy and sore. Donghyuck let out a deep sigh and sat on the edge of the bed, next to Mark.

"Do you not remember what happened last night?" He asked, and Mark continued to stare at him in confusion until his brain woke up a little more, and then suddenly a flood of memories came rushing back to him.

It was all a little blurry, but he remembered getting mad from the stupid spin the bottle game, and going downstairs into the kitchen so that he could be alone and think. He remembered some girl handing him a cup full of beer, and then another, and then another... and then he vaguely remembers being drunk, clinging to Donghyuck and glaring at Jaemin and whining because Jaemin was "taking his Hyuckie away from him" and—

Oh god.

"Uh," Mark squeaked, avoiding Donghyuck's gaze as embarrassment overwhelmed him. How the hell was he supposed to explain himself? Why on earth had he even acted like that in the first place?

"I... don't?" Mark murmured, eventually deciding that just playing dumb and pretending like he didn't remember anything was the safest option.

Donghyuck let out a little sigh, running his hand through his tangled hair. It looked like Donghyuck had recently woken up too, he probably hadn't been awake for more than an hour or two.

"Forget it, then." Donghyuck mumbled, pointing at the glass of water and painkiller he had set out for Mark. "You were really drunk last night, you probably have a killer hangover. Take that and then come out into the kitchen, me and your mom made breakfast."

And with that, Donghyuck was walking out of the room. As he went, Mark noticed that he was still wearing his clothes from last night, which didn't look like they had been very comfortable to sleep in. Mark felt a pang of guilt, knowing that it was his fault that Donghyuck had to stay over and sleep in those clothes instead of in his own bed and his own pajamas like he probably wanted to after such a crazy night.

He slowly sat up, groaning quietly as the pain shot up to the side of his skull. He quickly popped the painkiller in his mouth and downed half the glass of water, pausing only for a moment before he slowly lifted himself to his feet and stumbled out of his bedroom.

Just like Donghyuck had said, there was a plate of food already set out for him, and when he turned the corner, Donghyuck and his mother were cleaning up all the ingredients they had used to cook. Donghyuck was at the sink and was washing the dishes, his sleeves rolled up and his back facing Mark, and his mother was putting away the rice as she looked up and spotted him.

"Well well well, if it isn't my little party animal," she teased, and Mark's face burned bright red. Donghyuck looked over his shoulder and smirked a little, and Mark's stomach pooled with unfamiliar heat as he observed the pink apron tied around Donghyuck's small waist, the forearm muscles covered in water and soap, and the way that he seemed perfectly comfortable navigating Mark's kitchen. It all felt weirdly domestic, like what it might look like if he and Donghyuck were married—