fifteen

"I'm so sorry, Hyuck. Is it my fault?"

"No, Mark, it's not."

"Are you sure? Because I feel like I totally made things weird when I got drunk at that party and if it was my fault then I'm really sorry—"

"Oh my god. Hyung!" Donghyuck snapped, turning to face his best friend. Mark cowered backwards like a scolded puppy, his eyes wide and his metaphorical tail hanging between his legs. Donghyuck was annoyed with him, but not so annoyed that his heart didn't melt a little at how cute Mark looked like that.

Donghyuck inhaled a deep breath, letting the irritation bleed out of his tone so that he could speak more calmly. "For the last time, Hyung, it is not your fault that me and Jaemin broke up. We split for reasons that are completely unrelated."

"Okay," Mark murmured, still sounding a little insecure. Donghyuck felt a little guilty, if he was being honest, but he tried to push it down as he linked his arm with Mark's.

"Stop being sulky, you big baby," he crooned teasingly, gently poking Mark's cheek, "come help me pick out a movie to watch."

They were back at Mark's house, doing what Mark had called a "mandatory healing sleepover" in order to help Donghyuck get over his break up. Donghyuck had done one for Mark every time he had broken up with one of his former girlfriends, and now it was finally Mark's turn to pay it back.

Despite Donghyuck insisting that he was totally fine and didn't need to cry it out while watching cheesy rom coms and eating ice cream, Mark had still insisted. Donghyuck didn't really have it in him to keep pushing—one, because it might come off as a little suspicious, and two, Donghyuck would be crazy to pass up on getting to cuddle his favorite person while watching his favorite movie genre. With ice cream too, which automatically made it ten times better.

Mark flopped down on the couch, scrolling through their selection of movies before picking out a movie that he knew was one of Donghyuck's favorites, lifting up the fluffy blanket draped across him and patting the spot next to him. Donghyuck beamed and happily sank down into the spot, pressing up against Mark and pulling the blanket over both of their bodies as he laid his head on his shoulder. Mark let out a content sigh and let his arm snake around Donghyuck's back, and the younger boy felt butterflies swirling wildly in his stomach.

Admittedly, Donghyuck found that he had a hard time paying attention to the movie they were watching, and ended up just lifting his head so he could stare at Mark's side profile. He traced over his features lovingly with his eyes, starting at his forehead, down the slope of his nose, and all the way to his soft lips that were jutted out slightly in concentration. Donghyuck's bit his own lip and sighed. God, how he wanted to just push Mark down and claim his lips right there and then.

"Hyuckie," Mark murmured softly, pulling the brunette out of his thoughts. In the time that Donghyuck had been staring at him, Mark had at some point turned to meet his gaze, and Donghyuck flushed a little at getting caught admiring him.

"Hm?" He hummed, trying to come off casual.

"Are we okay?"

The sudden question had Donghyuck furrowing his eyebrows, sitting up a little straighter. "What do you mean?"

"You just, um..." Mark scratched at the back of his neck, looking nervous, "you seemed kind of mad at me when you left my house a couple days ago. You know, the morning after I got drunk."

Understanding dawned on him, and Donghyuck let out a reluctant sigh. "I guess I was, a little bit," he admits quietly.

"Why? What did I do?" Mark murmured back urgently, his eyes widening a little. Despite everything, all Donghyuck could feel when he looked at his alarmed expression was uncontrollable fondness for his sweet, people pleaser best friend.