Get Better Friends

The world Sonic would create was a beautiful one. Technology and nature worked together without one overpowering the other, the skies were blue, and most cities featured a large grassy center that allowed folks to walk from place to place with ease of mind. It wasn't without its disputes in leaders and general petty arguments, but no one could fully get rid of those. But it was a far cry better than having a single man decide to crack the earth for fun one weekend just to see if he could awaken an ancient horror. It became a normal life. A normal -dare one say 'utopian'- world.

But something about it made Silver unhappy. It was almost... boring? No, correction- it seemed more boring compared to Sonic's time. That moment in the world's great scheme where anything could change at a breath's chance. Even from a historical standpoint, the era just had more eccentric charge to it that Silver's future lacked. It felt bad to wish for someone to challenge the utopia Silver lived in. If only for a day. If only for a moment so he could say he made an impact in the future after like Sonic had.

And that brought a point that Silver secretly disliked. He didn't want his home destroyed- he wanted someone like Sonic to inspire his generation. But no one came close. No one had to take that role. It was a good thing. In a way, Silver did have an impact on the future too- it was to warn those of Sonic's time when something would affect the timeline. Maybe not well, but that was a skill he was still working on.

"Hey Silver!" a voice called, breaking the hedgehog from his thoughts. Silver blinked, then turned his attention to the voice. Coming up to him, with a steaming cup of coffee in hand, was a turquoise cat that Silver knew quite well. She was one of the few people he called friend here in his time. And they shared something in common- weird time and space bending powers. Where Silver had telekinesis and very limited time travel abilities, this cat had the power to travel different dimensions altogether.

"Saga," Silver greeted with a nod. "You're back."

The cat grimaced. She took a rather long sip of her coffee as she found a place next to Silver. If he didn't know any better, he would have guessed that she didn't want to be back.

"Where'd you go this time?" he then proceeded to rather innocently ask. Saga only exaggerated her grimace.

"There were robots." she spat, punctuating her dislike with another sip. "A faction that called themselves 'Mavericks' thought I was one of them. The 'good' group, the 'Maverick Hunters', thought so too. Not a fun day."

"Oh..."

Saga agreed with a miffed hum before taking a much longer sip of coffee. In that time, she looked over at Silver. It didn't take a genius to know that something was bothering him. His eyes were drawn to the landscape around them, but it certainly wasn't taking anything in.

"What did you do?" Saga asked him. "Based on that look, it must have been a whole lot of nothing."

Silver jumped and looked to her in confusion. Saga thought to herself for a moment on how much of a space cadet he could be when something was on his mind. Sometimes it was funny.

"What do you mean?" he even asked.

"Well," Saga mused, tossing her braided hair to the other shoulder, "You certainly seem more energized if the world was compromised, and you got to visit the past. It's almost like this world is too boring for you."

"That's not true!" Silver immediately interjected.

Saga cocked an eyebrow. She took another sip of coffee and -after smacking her lips-, she told him, "You need friends."

The notion immediately made Silver deflate.

"You're my friend."

"Other friends." Saga corrected herself. "Friends that don't hop dimensions."