Lack of Tact

Energy. That was the heart of Soleanna's people. It burned inside them like a flame that refused to be let out. A good celebration like the seasonal festivals brought out that side of them without a hint of prejudice. Elise never felt more alive during these times. All the work that went into the festivals, the joy of seeing it all come together, watching everyone take a small break from their routines to rejoice in their good fortunes together. It would have been hard to sit still.

Not that Elise ever had the choice.

"Your highness, we're expected at the pavilion soon." one of Elise's ladies-in-waiting reminded her.

"I know, I know." the princess agreed before pressing a kiss on a child's forehead in thanks for the corded bracelet they made. She slipped it onto her wrist, waving to the children, as she fell back in line with her entourage.

"I know you wish to have good public relations, your highness," the same lady-in-waiting chastised as they walked, "But so will meeting your appointments during the festival."

"Of course." Elise nodded. In the back of her head -the part of her that always secretly defied her duties-, Elise mused that interacting with her citizens directly wasn't 'public relations', it was building a friendship. An assurance that they could trust her to do as she said. Who on earth would ever support someone who said they cared about their people, when they never actually interacted with them? Her mother had done so before her, so how was anyone surprised that Elise wished to do the same?

Waiting for Elise and her entourage at the pavilion were a small portion of this festival's distinguished guests. Most of the time it was dignitaries or honorable heroes. Elise usually wished that she could still be with her citizens instead. Dignitaries usually talked about lands and trade and money, and the heroes only talked about their past triumphs as if they didn't occur years before Elise's own birth. That might have been why the silver Mobian hedgehog stood out to her. To wit, he wasn't the only Mobian in the pavilion, but he was the only one not directly interacting with anyone else. Elise took a look to make sure her lady-in-waiting was no longer breathing down her neck, then made her way over to the hedgehog.

"Hello there." Elise said to him with a gentle smile. "You seem a bit lost, is there any way I can help?"

The poor hedgehog nearly jumped out of his skin. He quickly turned his attention to Elise and just as soon nearly paled over.

"I have an invite!" he quickly told her, quickly rifling through his pockets for said piece of paper.

"No need. I trust you." Elise assured him. "Are you filling in for someone? This space is reserved for certain guests."

"Y-yeah." the hedgehog admitted. He refused to look at her however. "I'm representing Sonic the Hedgehog. This invite was actually for him, but..."

"Ah." Elise nodded. She got down to the hedgehog's height to meet him eye to eye. "Truth be told, Sonic's denied every festival we've invited him to since the Phantom Ruby War. I can see why, I'm sure there's plenty to be done after such a devastating war on Mobian settlements."

This brought a new round of shock to the hedgehog.

"Really?" he questioned, sounding even more surprised. Elise nodded as she stood up again.

"I've never met him in person, but I would love to." she admitted- even letting out a particularly thoughtful sigh. "He'd receive a medal of honor in a heartbeat. We'd do it in the swamp if that's where we found him!"

The hedgehog raised an eyebrow. "You're really that awestruck about someone you've never met?"

For this, Elise started to sheepishly blush.