CHAPTER 18. THE ANIMATE CORPSE

The air inside of the infirmary was bitter

The air inside of the infirmary was bitter. The white lights illuminated the room, its head beating down onto Amaya's figure. As she laid on one of the beds, she kept her eyes shut. A bead of sweat dribbled down the side of her head as she thought of the tests she had done almost an hour ago.

Almost the entirety of Amaya's body functioned like it used to. The only noticeable differences Ieiri found were her heart's BPM and her body temperature. Both were lower than the average, the temperature more noticeable.

It was strange to her. Amaya didn't feel any different than she normally did. It was as if the differences had no effect on her body. But for someone who rose from the dead, the possibilities were endless.

On the infirmary's bed, Amaya shut her eyes and tried to ignore the elephant in the room. It was impossible to do so when she knew Gojo was watching her from the nearby medicine cabinet. His eyes observed her every move as he leaned against the counter with his arms crossed.

If Amaya could figure out what he was thinking, she'd try in an instant. Gojo was always mysterious in that way, keeping most of his thoughts and feelings to himself. Amaya couldn't think of a time he had been vulnerable.

Though, it made sense he hid it, that he hid his vulnerable side. Even the strongest sorcerer can fall once their weaknesses are exposed and exploited. Amaya was sure he didn't see her as an ally, so she couldn't even expect a smile from him.

She thought of the situation over and over, and concluded that earning their trust back would be the hardest thing. They've built walls up after her absence, and her return brought the construction of even more obstacles. But even so...

"Yuta says he believes it's you."

Amaya's train of thought stopped once Gojo had uttered those words. Her body paused, refusing the urge to turn around. She replied, "He shouldn't. All we did was talk in that classroom briefly..."

The man questioned, "Don't you want his trust back? Isn't it your goal to make everyone believe it's truly Amaya?"

His words made her furrow her brows. Amaya sat up on the bed, still facing away from Gojo, as she looked down at her hands. Pale and dry, that's all they were. Yet, she could imagine them soaked in the blood of her friends, or rotting away like they were supposed to.

"Of course I want everyone to believe in me. It's been about 3 days since I've come back, and all that it's brought me and everyone else is pain. Things would be so much easier if we could just go back to the way things were."

"Except you can't. No one can."

"I'm painfully aware." Amaya sighed, "I'm scared because I don't know a thing. What if I lose control of my body and hurt someone, or go through dying all over again, not that I remember it."

"Have you tried to remember?"

"Yes, but I can't. Even when I try I'm scared to remember. Maybe that has some part to play."