Thirty

(Longer chapter! Votes and comments are much appreciated🫶🏻 Sorry for the long wait!!)
-

"Please sit down", Tonowari requested with a serious undertone lingering in his voice. He watched as the Sullys and his mate kneeled down to place themselves on the ground, joining their actions. The atmosphere was filled with tension and anxiety, mostly coming from the two boys this whole session was even about. Their expressions closed up, and fear crossed Neteyam's face while he could feel Ao'nung tightening the grip around his waist at his increasing heartbeat.
"Jake and Neytiri were also present at this meeting, and the other members and I decided how to proceed with the current situation.", the chief spoke out loudly, moving his arms to match his words. With every sentence that the man got closer to the final answer that Neteyam wanted to hear, the more distress he could feel rising inside his veins. The boy was desperate for Ao'nung to accomplish what he had already worked so hard for.

"Whatever my father says now, remember it's not your fault, okay, love? Everything was entirely my own decision," the reef na'vi leaned down to whisper into the younger boy's ear, making sure no one noticed. Their tails wrapped around each other subconsciously in a slow pace, and Ao'nung's touch was all Neteyam needed to calm down a little.
Tonowari cast a quick glance at Jake before continuing his speech. "We'll give you two options, and you kids will have to decide among yourselves. Either Ao'nung never becomes Olo'eyktan and Tsireya takes his place, or Ao'nung becomes Olo'eyktan but Tsireya loses her future position as Tsahìk and transfers it to Neteyam". He paused to take a deep breath. "The Tsahìk must be the chief's mate in this clan; a tradition that will not be broken. Because you are unable to have children, Tsireya's child will be the next Olo'eyktan after Ao'nung".

As soon as those words left the chief's mouth, Neteyam's heart felt like it was dying from all the painful stings that went straight through it, tearing everything apart. How could they leave such a huge and ruthless decision to them alone?
Neteyam felt terrible, to say the least. He looked at the boy next to him, whose head was bowed low and his eyes were fixed on the ground, an indescribable expression on his face. As if Ao'nung was too shocked to get anything out of his throat, like the words were suppressed by a gigantic knot that couldn't untie itself.
If Ao'nung was to become Olo'eyktan, then he himself had to become Tsahìk, but Neteyam's long-term training had never prepared him for that role. He learned how to hunt, be responsible, manage and construct weapons, and lead groups. Becoming a Tsakarem now—a Tsahìk in training—would mean that he had so much more to learn and also had to concentrate on the spiritual lead rather than the things a warrior was there for. He would spend his life training under the current Tsahìk, which was Ronal, getting taught how to listen for signs from Eywa and perform ceremonies. A strong bond with Eywa is also one of the most important aspects, something he kind of lacked.

Taking Tsireya's position would also be detrimental to Neteyam in a variety of ways.
The decision was difficult because both Ao'nung and his sister had spent their entire lives preparing for their roles. They were probably pledging with a headache right now.
When the warrior decided to turn his head in the other direction to check up on the girl, he most definitely didn't expect to be met with a small smile on her face. Perplexed, the boy's expression quickly changed to a confused one, before Tsireya carefully moved to his ear while making sure that their parents weren't listening at the moment. She covered her mouth with her hand and pulled Ao'nung forward so that he could listen as well.
"I don't think I ever wanted to become Tsahìk anyway.. I wouldn't be able to handle the responsibilities and everything", the girl murmured, chuckling lightly at the boy's shocked faces in response.

"What? But Tsireya you-", Neteyam started, but quickly stopped when the girl placed her palm on his mouth to stop him from letting the words leave his lips. Grinning, she very lightly shook her head no, and darted her eyes from one boy to the next. "Would you be ready to become Tsahìk, Neteyam?", Tsireya asked quietly.
The two boys searched for each other's gazes as the grip on their intertwined hands tightened, the intensity increasing as they examined their faces and sought answers. Although their eyes were full of expression and they didn't need words to express their emotions or what they were going through, the final decision took a lot of thought.
"I know that this isn't what you've trained for, but trust me, my mom is the best teacher!", Tsireya exclaimed cheerfully while grabbing his fingers and staring at him with hopeful eyes.
Neteyam shifted his gaze away from either of the siblings and fixed it on the ground, wrinkles visible on his forehead from the stress and anxiety.
"It was not in vain that you learned your current skills! Even as a Tsahìk, you will need to use and apply all of your knowledge ", she added before leaving him to his own devices to determine the best course of action.

"Are you really sure that you don't want to become Tsahìk?", Neteyam muttered, a lot of uncertainty ringing in his quiet voice.

"Totally! In the future, I'd like to focus on my own small family, and I simply wouldn't be able to handle the responsibilities of a whole clan. But I know you would, and I know you'll learn quickly and gain confidence in what you're doing faster than you can imagine ". Tsireya felt a pang of guilt creep up her spine as she examined the boy's tense expression and posture. She knew that this was a lot to take in for such a short period of time and that it was difficult to make a decision that would change the plan for the rest of your life, but she also knew that Neteyam could do it. Since they've been living together, the girl has noticed what a fast learner and good listener the forest na'vi seemed to be, and that he would adapt quickly.

Ao'nung carefully brushed a few of Neteyam's braids to the back of his ear before caressing his back gently. "We don't have to decide right now if that's too much for y-"

"No", the younger boy quickly stopped him, taking a deep breath. "Let's do it".
Both of the Metkayina sibling's faces instantly lit up as soon as they registered Neteyam's words, cheering together and listened to each other's heartwarming laughs.
"If that means you two will get what you so desperately wanted, I'll go to any length for it.", the darker na'vi chuckled lightly. He cast a quick glance at his parents and the clan's two leaders, watching as they seemed to be discussing something important but occasionally listening in on their quiet conversation.
Neteyam's attention was drawn back to the two reef na'vi next to him by a sudden hand on his cheek, feeling his heart gain back its warmth and regular beat at their delighted faces.

"But don't just say that because you want to make the two of us happy; think about your own happiness as well, Tey", Ao'nung proceeded to tell him while hugging his waist with one arm and combing through Neteyam's hair with the other hand.
The younger boy cleared his throat a little to get their parents' attention back before straightening his horrible posture again. "Well, I must admit that this is very different from what I've been doing so far, but I can adapt and learn. I'll be doing my best at being Tsahìk and providing safety within this clan, and I promise to be a good lead", Neteyam spoke out with a voice as loud as his father's. Without having expected that, Neytiri instantly went up to him and crushed her oldest child with her strong arms, feeling tons of different emotions swirling around in her mind. "Oh, my son!", she whispered. "We know that you'll do such a great job, and we support you, whatever decision you would've made".

Just as Neteyam hugged his mother back tightly, he could see Jake appearing in front of him with slow steps and crouching down to eye level. When the boy pulled back again, he looked into his father's indescribable eyes, trying to find out what went through his strict mind at that moment but not being able to break the barrier. Without saying any word, the man pulled Neteyam to his chest and gently placed his palm on the back of his head. "I overreacted..", Jake muttered, feeling his heart clench at the tight grip that the boy had around his back.
While pulling away again after some time, the father observed Neteyam's face throughly, before giving him a small nod of assurance.

"I see you, son. If you're happy, then so am I".