CHAPTER 1:The Nightmare

RAYA'S POV

"You bitch, you think you can leave this house whenever you please."

"I own you and I will for as long as I live, you hear me?" My dad said angrily.

"Yes" My mom said crying in a corner.

Her face was bruised from the countless times my dad was hitting her and she couldn't do anything about it because if she dared to utter a word to anyone, she would end up in that corner again. My mom didn't like it when they fought Infront of me, but my dad really didn't care because even if my mom told him it would cause me trauma, he didn't care about anybody but himself.

A FEW MOMENTS LATER

My mom was on a call with her boss. She was the CEO's personal assistant at Apple, they had been discussing about a project that had to be ready in 6 months. As soon as my dad walked in she quickly hung up the phone.

"Who was that?" My dad asked, by the tone in his voice I could tell his blood was boiling.

"My boss " she whispered unable to look my dad in the eye.

"You're lying to me Leyna, stop lying!"

From my room I could hear my dad breaking the mirror with a baseball bat, I know my mom had warned me to always lock myself in the bedroom when they were fighting but I couldn't do it this time I couldn't just sit there whilst my dad was disabling my mom, So I ran to their room, and I stood Infront of my mom facing my dad. "I swear I was talking to my boss; she was asking about the project we recently started" mom said trying to convince dad.

"Dad what are you doing stop hitting her". I said with tears flooding my eyes.

"Stay out of this Raya" dad screamed at me.

"Listen to your father Yaya "my mom said with a much softer voice that portrayed fear in it.

"No, I'm not living you here mom, I can't leave you".

My dad then grabbed my arm tightly and it felt like it was going to bruise, He dragged me out of his bedroom and down to the basement and he locked me in. Since I was afraid of the dark, He decided to cut the power for the basement just to punish me. He went back to my mom and hit her again and again and again till I could no longer hear screaming. I grabbed my phone out of my pocket and I dialled 911.

"911 what's your emergency" said the lady over the phone.

I hesitated before I finally said it.

"My dad is hitting my mom, he's been doing it ever since he lost his job, and he just knocked her out. I've been locked inside the basement for the past 20 minutes now please hurry".

"Can I have your address please, so we can send the police and ambulance to house?"

"657 Otterford Street "

"Ok they are on their way can you tell me your names".

"I'm Raya Wrenley and I'm 12 years old, my mom is Leyna Wrenley and she's 34 years old and my dad is Idris Wrenley and his 38 years old I don't have any siblings."

"Ok sweetie they are on their way please stay where you are."

KNOCKS ON THE FRONT DOOR

"Open the door it's the police".

Opening the basement door, my dad got in to ask what I had done, well because the police were still standing outside our front door, he left me in the basement again to open the front door.

"Mr Wrenley you are under arrest for the physical abuse of Mrs Wrenley, you have the right to remain silent anything you say or do will be used against you at the court of law".

I watched as my mom was being carried into the ambulance unconscious, I felt guilty because I couldn't protect her all those times, she got treated like a piece of nothing and I saw my dad leaving sitting in the back of a police car.

I woke up gasping for air and I ran to my mom's room.

"Mommy!" I said breathlessly.

She hugged me tightly and said

"Sweetie it's going to be ok, I'm ok we're going to be ok it's just a nightmare".

Yeah right, a nightmare I've been having for 5 years straight. After the day I saw my dad go to prison and my mom going to hospital I've been having nightmares of that day over and over again and it really scares me to imagine what my dad would do when he gets out of prison.