Chapter 2

Winter never thought that he and Moon would go on a date. It was shocking, the fact that he would get to go on a date with Moon and that she had chosen him over Qibli. He thought that she had chosen Qibli over him! And he would finally be seeing Moon today. Today out of all days, it was Valentine's day!

He waited and waited, getting more and more anxious.  What if it was a joke? Maybe someone was playing a prank...or worse - what if Moon is hurt? Finally someone came. But that someone wasn't Moon, to his very grave disappointment. It was Qibli. "Hey, Winter," he said with a nervous-looking smile. Winter narrowed his eyes. He wanted to answer, but he felt like he had the right to be suspicious. Instead, he waved, showing with his eyes that he was on to Qibli. They were always like brothers. And like brothers, they had rivalry. "Yeah, I know that you were expecting Moonwatcher, but there's...a problem. A big one. She's not here."

Winter snorted. "Really? I hadn't noticed. Thank you for that. And yes, there is a problem, Sandwing...you." Qibli stepped back. "What!? What in Pyrrhia do you mean?"

"Ha! Did you really think that I was that stupid? I know what you did. How could you?"

 "Wait! I didn't send the note. Moon did, and...as we both know, she hasn't arrived. That's why I'm here, as I would have told you if you had let me finish instead of acting like a pretentious sand snorter. Moon has been taken by the scavengers. Evil ones, ones that could take a dragon body. It's a new species...of the not so friendly type. That's how they took Moon. I went to Turtle, to see where Moon is. He used his magic once, to show the story how Moon was taken." Winter gasped. This could not happen! They were supposed to have a nice dinner, sleep together, and she would be gone. Now that they had to find her, how were they supposed to do this?

"This is your fault" he said to his friend. "If you hadn't interrupted, it would never be like this."

"NO! I swear I didn't have anything to do with this. I'm just here to deliver the message, and you're the one to do something about the message."

"Fine. Could you at least tell me why they would have taken her? Are they just mindlessly taking over dragons' minds? Are you sure that they're actually scavengers at all?"

Qibli took a deep breath, like he was about to breathe fire all over Winter in annoyance. Instead, he said, "Ok. One question at a time. I'll tell you everything we know."