Prologue: The Crossed Paths Between The Wallflower & The Black Eagle...

Warning ⚠️: childhood trauma, dysfunctional family, violence, blood, and angst

Leah's POV:

Since the day I was born, I learn that the world I'm in is nothing but danger. I seen it through my eyes.

Outside, we're nothing but one big happy family...but they don't know what's really going on behind our oh-so perfect dollhouse family.

"Where the hell were you?!"

"Damnit! Would it kill you to listen to me without smashing things and being a total bitch?!"

"If you haven't been screwin' around with that skank-ass co-worker, then maybe I can be less of a bitch that you viewed me as!"

"Mom! Dad! Stop! Please!!!"

The glass shattered in the kitchen that made my ears bleed. My body froze and my eyes dilate while hiding in the shadows like a patron watching a horror film. My mom and my dad are at each other's throats and Pen was wailing while breaking them up. Dishes and glasses were thrown in midair, insults thrown back and forth, and cries boomed in the air.

Yet this isn't new to me.

This happens nearly every day to the point where I've become numb to the violence and chaos swirling in this house until the day they're separated.

Not even their divorce healed my scars including the night before my dad decides to disappear on us. Which is why building walls is necessary so you won't get hurt. Emotions are fragile yet makes us targets for the eyes of the evils and predators in the cruel world, that means we must protect ourselves from harm by concealing them into our hearts...

Blending into the shadows is easier for me. I don't care if people don't noticed me. Silence gave me solace, tranquility pleases me. It's better this way...

...That is until I met him...

"Ack! What the f-! Oof!!"

"Oh my god!"

"Ah shit!"

"Somebody do something!!"

"Hey you! Get the hell off of him!"

As soon as he reaches his hand, a one quick glance had made the young man froze at his spot. His blue eyes were cold as ice, his brows furrowed together was undoubtedly fierce, his tall posture were terrifying like a raptor ready to pounce at his prey that made him quiver underneath his presence. Even the stains of blood on his fist and cheek made him intimidating.

"You oughta back up if you don't wanna die tonight

"You oughta back up if you don't wanna die tonight. I'm not in the mood to deal with you."

He growls before he spun and proceeds pummeling him to the ground. He then drops his knees and keeps on striking his fists right in the face causing blood to gush out from his nose.

It was the night that I'll never forget. Partygoers were shrieking and frozen like crazy when this stranger was beating the shit out of this guy. Yet here I am, standing in the crowd of all people watching this guy, whom I talked for ten minutes, beating our douchebag classmate in a house party with a few bystanders including Penelope tried to separate them.

I remembered the emotions I felt when I first met him and how he looked. His buttery hair that shimmers under the dim lights, his cerulean eyes sparkles like blue topazes, his silky voice that puts my mind into ease like a lullaby, his mole under his left eye made him alluring when his lips curled into a smile. A serene smile that makes my heart oddly put into warmth despite meeting him. Yet there's this hint of darkness and danger that lurks behind his bright exterior that I can't seem to shake off.

It's weird, fucked up even. I can't identify these emotions that I'm feeling. My brain felt jacked up. My mind can't even comprehend what was happening. It was either a blessing or a curse.

Usually I'm not the type who would open up easily to other people, but this guy feels so different from the rest. For some reason, he manages to slowly made me feel so comfortable and slightly be myself around despite meeting and talking to him half an hour later.

Yet there's one thing I don't understand...

How could he be so kind to me, but so violent towards our dickhead classmate?

Now I think about it. I couldn't remember the last time someone in my age asked me so many questions about myself. He actually cared about what I had to say and then 10 minutes later almost beat him to death.

I can understand why he deserve it, but I wouldn't want him dead. Yet...this guy whom I just met, made me think about my life. I always knew how passive I am since I was a kid, but I never had the encourage to take action because of my parents. Even the aftermath of five years ago's night incident didn't change...

I shut down mentally and walked off, thinking it would be better not to get involved...

Because I'm scared of exposing myself...

Scared of getting hurt...to be let down...

Therefore, I must lock my heart from the world and blend myself in the shadows so I won't get hurt. It's the only thing that brings me peace. I don't care what people deemed me as.

A bystander...

A shadow...

A patron in a theater...

A wallflower...

But this guy came in and turned my life around after that one unforgettable night. This is a story of how I, Leah Smith, encountered, befriended, and fell in love with Gaithersburg's mysterious and infamous local lone wolf named Lachlan Franco...