Chapter 2: Michael

Start writing your story

I called an uber on my phone after making sure Evelyn got to her mom's car okay, and waited in the front lobby. I opened Instagram and clicked on the search bar, typing in Evelyn Leewell. I saw her picture pop up on my screen after clicking on her profile. I pondered for a moment, my finger hovering over the blue follow button. I exhaled and pressed the screen. I turned my phone off and examined the cracked corner before my uber pulled up to the curb. I open the door and hop in. "Hi, how are you doing today?" I ask the man driving. He clears his throat and starts driving. Ok, guess he's not a talker. I open my phone once again and go to message Evelyn, I'm worried she isn't ready for the exam tomorrow. I pause before typing, rethinking my decision. I close Instagram and tap my fingers against the door panel. The driver pulls up to my house and holds his hand out. "Wow so subtle dude" I mumble to myself as I pull a twenty out of my pocket and hand it to him. I walk over the overgrown pathway that was once made of stone, and take off my backpack once I reach the door. My keys jangle in my hands as I fumble with them before unlocking the front door.

I step inside and look around the kitchen, "Dad? Are you home?". No answer. I could hear the TV, so he's either asleep or he forgot to turn it off. I drop my bag next to the countertop and walk into the living room, finding my Dad passed out and reclined in the chair. I reach for the remote and click the TV off and throw a blanket over my Dad, this new job is really killing him. I go back to my room and open up my computer, going over my to-do list on canvas. I open up my Spanish assignment and begin reading. About halfway through the reading I realized I didn't comprehend any of it, my thoughts had traveled elsewhere. I pick up my phone once again and click on Evelyn's name, "hey" I typed. Delete. "If you need any more help I could help you stu-" Delete. What is wrong with me? This is not that deep Michael, send the girl the damn message. "Hey Ev, I'm studying for the exam tomorrow, if you need any help feel free to give me a call and we can work on it together." I stared at the message and bit the inside of my mouth. Why was this so hard?

I forced myself to hit send and threw my phone on my bed. I paced back and forth in my room and sat down on the edge of my bed, my thoughts drifting to today's tutoring session. When I saw her deep hazel eyes and the her blonde curly hair framing her face, I didn't know if I could keep it together. I wanted to kiss her right then and there, to pretend like we were the only ones who mattered, the only stars left in an infinite universe.