enid the smartass

Enid freezes, surprised by the question.

"Why do you ask?" she questions, rocking back and forth on her feet, a nervous habit.

"Because..." Wednesday pauses, trying to come up with the best way to justify herself without revealing anything, "You've been acting weird."

She's not super satisfied with what she comes up with, but it'll work for now.

"What do you mean?" Enid starts picking at her nails, another habit.

Wednesday instantly comes up with a response this time, "I feel like you should answer my question before I have to answer anymore of yours."

She hopes to get a clear response from the girl after using what she thinks of as obvious logic.

But Enid persists, not wanting to reveal her feelings and also having a hard time coming up with a lie.

"Well to me it doesn't seem like a very reasonable question, especially coming from you."

"What do you mean by that?"

Wednesday is slightly offended by the response, but more annoyed that Enid won't answer her first question.

"I mean that it doesn't seem like something you'd be interested in knowing."

"Well I am, so I think the most reasonable thing to do would be to answer me."

Enid smirks, having thought of a clever way to continue to avoid fulfilling Wednesday wishes.

"I did answer you. I answered one of your questions, and you answered one of mine. Seems pretty reasonable to me."

Wednesday huffs, now very annoyed by the girl.

"You're insufferable, why did I even think you could handle answering a simple question all by yourself?"

"Because you think higher of me than you'd like to admit. And now I've answered two of your questions, while you've only answered one."

"Ugh!" Wednesday sighs and stomps away towards her desk, exhausted by Enid.

As for the taller girl, she sets her stuff down on her bed quickly before rushing to the bathroom. As she steps in, she swings the door behind her and goes to the sink to splash cold water on her face. Her heat is beating out of her chest, and her palms are sweaty.

What is my problem? she thinks, slapping her hands to her face. She's definitely not going to like you back after that! Way to be a smartass!

Enid has liked Wednesday for a while. While she always found the girl quite intriguing and interesting to be around, she never thought this would develop into a crush. Before Wednesday she didn't even think she liked girls. To be fair, since Ajax was nonbinary, she wasn't sure she liked guys either. And Wednesday knew she was trans, who would want to date a girl who's not a real girl? Assuming that Wednesday liked girls in the first place. It was possible though, since she has never told anyone what her sexuality was. All anyone knew was that she liked guys.

While Enid was wrestling with her thoughts in the bathroom, Wednesday had been trying to let go of the stupid conversation she just had. But all her efforts were no use. She had to find out. As she nears the bathroom, she sees that the door isn't closed, but instead left ajar, maybe Enid hadn't gone in here in the first place.

She pushes the door open.