🍁 Fourteen : Guess to Remember

GUESS TO REMEMBER

GUESS TO REMEMBER

Genevieve felt a pang of guilt for turning down Samuel's plea for help. She couldn't shake the feeling of his desperation to reunite with his family.

After making herself a morning coffee, she found herself in the hallway as the back door leading to the backyard swung open. 

Curious, she approached it and saw a little boy sitting on the deck, petting a white stray cat.

"What are you doing out here?" Genevieve asked, her voice laced with concern.

The boy turned his head and greeted her with a smile. "Hi, Evie."

Ignoring her question, Genevieve shifted the conversation. "Where did you find this cat?"

The boy turned back to the cat and replied, "I found him a week ago."

Genevieve was surprised. "How come I didn't know that?"

The boy shrugged. "You haven't been on this deck at all."

Realizing he was right, Genevieve nodded and took a sip of her coffee.

After a moment of silence, the boy turned to her again. "Good morning, Evie."

Genevieve hesitated before responding. "Morning," she muttered, giving him a quick smile.

As she made to go inside, the boy protested. "I named him Snow. He now belongs to me."

Genevieve sighed. "He probably belongs to someone else."

But the boy insisted, "No, you can't do that! Snow loves to be here."

Genevieve relented. "Fine. But make sure he gets fed too."

Leaving the boy with Snow, Genevieve couldn't shake the feeling that the boy was merely a figment of her imagination. Yet, their interaction felt so real.

When she glanced back at the door, the boy was gone, leaving only Snow behind.

• • • 🌾 • • •

The next morning, Genevieve descended the stairs and glanced outside through the glazing door. Only Snow was present, and the little boy was nowhere to be seen.

Snow continued to meow, awaiting his breakfast. With a sigh, Genevieve made her way to the kitchen to fetch something for him to eat.

Luckily, she found some leftover chicken in the fridge, which she promptly prepared for Snow's morning meal.

Carrying the food outside onto the deck, Genevieve carefully placed it in Snow's bowl along with some plain water. She then crouched down to stroke Snow's head, smiling at his adorable demeanor.

"You're right, Snow. I think I'll keep you here for now," she murmured affectionately as she watched him eat. "You're such a cutie. No wonder your name is Snow."