THREE

~ONE DAY TO CUBA~

~LORI~

I can't believe I'm walking through the airport right now, my carry-on backpack over my shoulder, boarding pass safely tucked away in the front pocket. I thought my mom would make a big deal over my leaving for a week instead of focusing on my MCAT prep, but I've been mopey since my parents shot down my gap year idea. I think they believe that this trip will satisfy my urge to travel the world and find myself, so they let me go to Cuba, on the condition that I focus on the MCAT earnestly when I get back. It physically pained me to agree to that, but I knew I'd have to study for the MCAT anyway, so I might as well get a trip to Cuba with my best friend out of it.

Faye was ecstatic when I told her. Today she even showed up at my house hours earlier than she needed to with all her luggage until it was time to go to the airport. She hasn't stopped talking since, even while we were checking in and dropping off our bags.

"I am so excited!" Faye exclaims as we walk to our gate. The number of times she's said that today alone is in the hundreds.

"Me too, Faye," I say. We sidestep groups of people as they rush about the busy airport, only just managing to stay side by side instead of single file.

"I can't wait, I really need this vacation," she says, tightening the straps of her backpack. "This last year of high school has fucked me harder than any guy ever has."

I burst out laughing. "TMI, Faye."

"It's true! I just barely graduated. At least now we can relax on the beach, meet some boys, get your mind off your Sexy Gym Guy . . ."

"Oh my gosh, Faye," I mumble, remembering how she reacted when I told her about my run-in with Mr. Blue Eyes. She's given him his own nickname. "If you were there, you would've murdered me." We turn a corner to get to our gate, and I scan the area for Faye's brother.

"I probably would've," she admits. "You need to stop being so damn shy! Oh, there's Adam, he's waving us over."

And that's when I see him, standing with the group of guys talking to Adam.

Instead of brushing it off and playing it cool like a normal person, or even stopping dead in my tracks like a normal-but-slightly-more-awkward person, I grab Faye's forearm and pull her through the nearest door. I'm one hundred percent sure our transition was neither graceful nor unnoticed.

"What is your issue, Lor?" Faye asks once the door safely separates us from the group of probably now confused boys.

"That was him!" I exclaim, my heart beating erratically as if it can't decide whether to be excited or terrified.

"What are you talking about?" Faye asks, eyebrows drawing together and bottom lip pouting out.

"I'm talking about how the incredibly good-looking guy from the gym who saved my ass last week is the very same extremely good-looking guy talking to your brother!"

Her warm brown eyes widen in recognition. "No shit!"

She pushes open the door to look, but I yank her back in.

"Don't go out there!" I order.

Please tell me he's not coming on this trip with us. Or maybe tell me he is? I'm not sure which I'd prefer. I'm already worried about making a fool of myself in front of Faye's hot brother, so I don't need another hot guy to make me worry about my every move.

Faye rolls her eyes at me. "Yes, Lori. Let's stay in here all week. Who needs to go to Cuba when we can spend all our time enjoying the scenery of this beautiful ro—"