Chapter 40

Before going out to search, Alastor had gone to his study to look over old police investigation files that he had managed to swipe from the station. He was taking care to memorize each detail of each disappearance and murder that had been recorded, making sure that there would be no pattern for the authorities to put together.

"If he's already dead." Alastor thought, reading the reports carefully. "I better be sure to dispose of the body in a way that the police can't make a connection."

That's when he heard the loud thumping noise that he knew to come from the steps in the east wing. He assumed that it was Husk coming home drunk again, so drunk that he couldn't even walk up the stairs properly.

"Oh what a time for him to be intoxicated." He muttered in irritation. "When we may have a crisis on their hands. Sometimes I wonder if I should start docking his pay."

He made stood up from his desk and opened a cabinet which contained some smelling salts. He grabbed the jar and made his way down the east wing, into the room where the stairs were located. Then his smile and the jar of smelling salts fell. Glass hit the floor and was shattered all over, when he saw Charlie laying motionless at the end of the stairs. His mind was suddenly transported back in time to a moment when he saw another lady in that same position. A lady who was just like Charlie in every way.

"No! Please no!" He let out an anguish cry that was like the sound the wind howling.

Alastor fell to his knees and gathered the woman into his arms, cradling her to his chest.

"No! No! Not again! Not again!" He brushed her hair from her face and desperately tried to shake her awake. "No Charlotte! You can't leave me! You can't leave me again! You just can't!"

His voice was so loud and primal, everyone in the house heard him and rushed to the source. Terror pierced all their hearts when they saw him holding the still woman and sobbing, with tears of blood.

"Charlie!" Vaggie was the last to arrive at the scene, and her first instinct was to get to her side. But Alastor was having none of it.

"Don't touch her!" He snarled with a rage that was so unholy and inhuman that Vaggie fell down as if she had been knocked back. "You did this! You left her alone! I trusted you to stay by her side and you just...You just let this happen! How could you let this happen?!"

"Alastor that's enough!" Rosie said, getting between him and Vaggie. "Husk, Mr. Pentious, get her out of here! Now!"

"I'm not going anywhere!" Vaggie insisted. "Charlie is hurt! She needs my help!"

"Girl, if you value your life, you will make yourself scarce immediately! Don't disobey me! You will regret it, I promise you that!"

Despite how it sounded, Vaggie knew that Rosie's words were not a threat. They were a warning. A warning that Alastor wasn't in the right state of mind and that if Vaggie didn't leave, he would hurt her. Unfortunately this only made Vaggie more determined not to leave. At the moment, Alastor looked like a homicidal mad man who was capable of anything and he was holding her friend in his arms. No one who didn't know Alastor and was in her position, wouldn't leave either.

"I am not leaving until I know Charlie is safe!"

"She is. Believe me." Rosie said.

"Why should I?"

Rosie really didn't want to do this, but desperate times call desperate measures. She gave Husk a look the signaled what he wanted her to do. With a nod, he approached Vaggie from behind and mouthed something. She was out like a light in two seconds, then he and Mr. Pentious carried her body up to her room. Next, Rosie carefully knelt down close to Alastor who was still trembling.