Chapter Two

TRIGGER WARNING - MENTION AND DISCUSSION OF S.A.

VIOLET POV

I dropped Dustin home and then waited out front of the house until Billy came to pick me up. Before too long I heard the revs of his Camaro as it came down the next street, and then saw his headlights come barrelling towards me. He pulled up with a screech of his brakes and that trademark Hargrove smirk.

"You ready V?" "Hargrove you drive like a fucking maniac." "Violet shut up and get in the car." I grinned at him and climbed in. He frowned when he saw my face. "V you're already super bruised. You sure you're ok?" "Billy you got me in to this! Don't tell me you're having second thoughts!" "It's just hard seeing your pretty face all bruised up." "Ew. Never say that again."

He chuckled at me and then sped off in the direction of the quarry. I know what you're thinking. He's a man whore. I know this. But he's also my best friend. He saved me from something so unfathomably horrible and got me in to Roller Derby as a coping mechanism.

Almost three years ago, when I was just 16, I was violently raped and brutally beaten by two men at a house party. One of whom was my boyfriend at the time. His name is Jake Hendricks and he was a quarterback at St Catherine's Secondary School. I was a student there on a scholarship for music. I never went to Hawkins High because it was my dream to pursue a career in music.

I loved Jake. Well at least I thought I did. I did at the time. I was only 16 and not ready to lose my virginity. Jake didn't like that. Not after we'd been together for four months and I was still refusing anything more than "heavy petting". He always reassured me that it didn't matter. That he loved me and he'd wait for me.

Until one night at a party for the football team at another jocks house, Jake had had too much to drink and led me to an empty bedroom. His friend, Luke Pierce, was waiting in there. Luke pinned me down and held his hand over my mouth after they both smacked me around a bit so Jake could get what he wanted. When Jake was done, Luke took his turn.

After it was over I was left bleeding between my legs from the assault, I had a broken nose, I'd had a tooth knocked out and I had cigarette burns to my naked sides. Billy Hargrove, who was a friend of a friend of the host saw the two boys come out of the bedroom doing up their zips after exchanging a high five. He saw spots of blood on the front of their clothing and looked in to the room after they had left it.

He found me barely conscious, naked and bleeding. We had never met before but he called an ambulance and travelled with me to the hospital, refusing to leave my side until my mom arrived. Chief Hopper and his deputies interviewed me at the hospital. With my statement along with Billy's, Jake and Luke were arrested and charged. Almost three years later they're still in prison.

I never finished high school. I dropped out immediately after due to the shame and the embarrassment, not to mention the hate thrown at me for two of the star football players being thrown in jail. Billy visited me at the hospital the next day with some flowers and his trademark smile.

I fell in love with him immediately. But 100% platonically. Billy was my best friend and the older brother I never had. He visited me every day during my recovery. When my injuries had healed he introduced me to roller derby. And self defence. Because of Billy I could throw a punch. A good one. Because of Billy I could leave my house without looking over my shoulder. Because of Billy I began to feel safe again.

Billy helped me come out of my room, he helped me go out in public again, he helped me get my life back again. Is it possible to love someone with everything you have but not be IN love with them? If so that's what I had with Billy. I wouldn't be here if it weren't for him.