XI

Aragorn looked over to Eadrid, seeing her gaze upon the city with tired eyes. The soft blue light lit up her face as she closed her eyes and leaned against the tree, looking in ease.

Aragorn got up and stood in front of Eadrid, who opened her eyes and looked curiously up at him as he held out his hand. Eadrid took it and he pulled her up, guiding her through the now filled beds by the rest of the fellowship.

Their soft snores drifted away as they made their way upon the path from the camp. They walked side by side in silence until they came to a garden, where Aragorn stopped and turned to her.

Aragorn took in her natural beauty as he gazed down at her. She was alluring and elegant at moments, but at other times fierce and resilient. Both sides of which, Aragorn was completely capitivated by.

They stayed there for a moment in silence, captivated by each other. Eadrid's eyes resembled the sky of a chilled autumn day, a warm sun shining through light clouds.

"You must tell me what you are thinking." She said to him.

Aragorn smiled softly. Aragorn had been trying to form words himself for what he was thinking, and it proved to be more difficult then he had thought to be. He saw her eyes catch his in every moment, he noticed the way they drifted near each other in every chance. "I am drawn to you, Eadrid, in a way I cannot well explain."

Her eyebrows knitted, and she looked at him with unwavering eyes. "And what, may I ask, do you mean by that?"

"It means that I cannot stay away from you, you hold my heart though I feel I have barely held yours. In every moment I am enthralled by you, Eadrid. I cannot put it into simple words, but that the grasp you have on me will not be easily rid." He almost whispered, the words being pulled out of him when he felt he could not hold them back any longer.

Eadrid's mouth opened slightly, as she seemed to be searching for words. She stood there for a moment, unsure what to do. "I- I do not know what to say." She stuttered. "I- you-" She took a step forward and tried to reach for his hands.

Aragorn took a step back from her and smiled. "I must leave you, I am afraid I am very exhausted. Sleep well, Eadrid."

Eadrid regained her senses after only a moment as he turned and took a few steps down the path. "Wait!" He stopped but did not look at her. Eadrid walked to him and pulled his shoulder to make him face her. "Why are you leaving? Why do you tell me this and walk away?" Her hands reached for his face as she forced him to look her in the eyes.

He took a deep breath and held her hands, lowering them from his face. Without looking at her once more, he turned and walked away, which proved to be a difficult task.

Eadrid stood, mouth agape, as he disappeared once more from her view. She slumped under the tree that stood in the middle of the garden, flowing in the light breeze. She sat, hands in her lap, gazing off as Aragorn's words shattered her mind.

"It means that I cannot stay away from you, you hold my heart though I feel I have barely held yours."

Eadrid was shocked by his words. She was drawn to Aragorn, but it was not as though she felt there ever to be a sort of outcome. He was the heir of Gondor, the prophesied king of men. Eadrid was a princess and a captain, but was now just a wander of Middle Earth, aimlessly trekking until Aragorn brought her on this journey. Was she even supposed to be here? Did she have any place of importance in this fellowship?

Eadrid shook these questions out of her mind, she was here, after all, and she was a firm believer that things did happen for a reason, no matter how uncertain in the moment.