1/4

Minji's POV

"I already told you a million times. I don't have a crush on her..." I mumbled under my breath as I lowered my head. I tried my best to avoid eye contact with the two of them, and they both knew very well that I was lying.

Sitting inside the café was a pleasant setting, although having a conversation with these two was the opposite. Danielle and Haerin sat beside each other and are practically snuggling against one another. I sat on the opposite side of the table, like the third wheeler I am.

Haerin snorts. "It's been years, and you still haven't admitted your feelings towards her." I looked up and finally made eye contact with her. I glared into her soul, wanting to bury the girl five feet under the ground.

"I still don't understand how Hanni is so oblivious," Danielle added. Honestly, I also don't understand how Hanni is so oblivious to all of this either. I've been hinting at this for years, wanting her to figure it out and trying desperately to make things more evident and clear.

"Why don't you try confessing to her?" Haerin bluntly said, I looked over at her as I furrowed my eyebrows. "You don't think I've tried?" I sighed, placing my chin on my clenched fist.

"Thanks for confirming, you just indirectly admitted your feelings. Also, you barely even tried."

Haerin's right, I barely even tried. The times I do try, it doesn't go the way I want it to. It's always three situations: someone interrupts us, I can never get us alone or that I'm a coward and can't confess either way. Most of the time being the third option.

Still, there shouldn't be an excuse as to why I haven't mustered up the courage to confess to Hanni. I've been crushing on her for a while now, well maybe longer than that. Three years to be exact.

Our friend group has five of us, and we've all been friends since middle school. Hanni didn't have many friends and sat alone most of the time, both in class and during lunch. After becoming friends with her, we all became practically glued to one another. The five of us are inseparable.

I once caught Hanni dancing in front of the bathroom mirror during middle school. I was surprised, she was really good at dancing and I even encouraged her to show the others or to try out for the dance club.

She was really shy and hesitant about showing her dance in front of the others. I remember telling her not to be shy because we were all her friends and she was really good at dancing.

After this incident, Hanni became more confident and even tried out or the dance club later in high school.

During freshman year, I started developing feelings for her. I don't really know how it happened, and this may seem a little cheesy but it felt like something changed when I saw her give the biggest smile towards me.

During that moment, she just seemed like the most precious human being on the planet with the cutest smile ever.

I was having a study session with Haerin and Hyein, and I wasn't exactly doing well in class right now. I needed a little help in some subjects and as much I don't want to admit it, Haerin is smarter than me and Hyein is ambitious about her goals.

Although Haerin is younger, I still need help because I haven't been fully focused on school, and I don't want anything distracting me. Clearly I've been doing the opposite. Hanni has completely taken over my mind.

I didn't think it was possible for Hanni to have this much power over me.

It's been a while since the three of us have studied together, especially since Haerin and Danielle hit off recently, and Hyein as she spends time with Eunchae.

Haerin is helping me prepare for an upcoming test on Thursday, and she keeps flashing and waving color coded cards in my face every five seconds.

She kept talking about the formulas for algebra, but I could barely even register what she said. I was too busy getting distracted from the text message I just received.

phampham💖:
hi min! i just wanted to check up on you because of how stressed you seem to be the last few days

"Minji unnie?" Hyein spoke up with confusion written all over her face. I glanced at the text message one last time before finally looking up at the two of them. Haerin and I sat on top of the bed, while Hyein sat on the floor, back against the bedside with her papers scattered everywhere. "Unnie, everything okay?"

"Huh? Uh, yeah... It's nothing bad," I sprouted, looking down at my phone to respond.

big upcoming test soon but im fine phampham!

I pursed my lips together, staring at the text message as I contemplated whether or not I should send it. I looked at the message for a few seconds longer, before clicking on the send button.

phampham💖:
dont stress you'll definitely ace it! 🥰

"Who are you texting?" Haerin asked, raising an eyebrow. Should I lie? No, she probably already has an idea on who I'm texting by the way I'm talking and behaving.

"Uhh, It's Hanni... She's just checking up on me."

Haerin laid down on the bed, turning her body towards my direction. "Aww, your little girlfriend is so caring." I nodded, smiling, "She's so cute..."

"Hm? So she's your girlfriend now?" I looked at her with widened eyes and bowed my head in embarrassment. "No! I just– I didn't mean to say that! We're not dating..." I could hear Haerin and Hyein laughing at me, "You wish though..." I sighed and flopped backwards onto the bed.

Hyein started closing her books, tucking her pens into the pencil case and packing her stuff. "I need to get home, text me later if you're planning on going to the party Minji unnie!" She walks out of my room mid-sentence, practically shouting her way out of the house.

"Yeah I'll text you later!" I shouted back.

Now that we're back to studying, I'm not sure if I can still focus on something other than Hanni.