Chapter 6

𝒯𝒽𝑒 𝒮𝒶𝓋𝒾𝑜𝓇𝓈

《 "𝙮𝙤𝙪 𝙘𝙖𝙣 𝙘𝙧𝙮."》

      I ran to the RV the group was taking out to check out this other camp.
       Daryl was packing stuff in his car. I ran up to him. "Hey. I have a list of things I need, so if you happen to come across anything at this place, mind stealing it for me?" I asked, handing him the paper.
       "Sure, kid." He said. I hugged him. "You stay safe back here."
       "Don't get stabbed by a crazy man." I said. He smiled.
       I walked over to Carl. "Hey." I said.
       "Hi." He replied.
       Rick walked toward us. "You sure?" Carl asked him.
       "No. But if he's telling the truth, this could be the start of everything." He said. I watched as Michonne walked down the stairs. "Look, I was gonna tell you about me and Michonne, but if just happened. It just happened. Last night." He paused. "This is- this is different." Carl smiled.
       "It's cool." He said.
       "All right." Rick said. "Well, get your stuff. Gabriel can watch Judith while we're gone."
       "No, I'm not coming." Carl said. I looked at him, confused. "Someone's gotta stay back, keep this place safe. A kid with a messed-up face probably wouldn't make the best first impression anyway."
       I stared at him. Rick handed him Judith before walking away.
       I sighed. "I like your face." I said. He laughed a little. "I mean it."
       He smiled at me. The cars drove off, and we walked inside.
       "So, your dad and Michonne." I said, playing with Judith.
       "Uh, yeah." He said. "I guess so."
       "He picked a good one." I said. He nodded.
       There was silence for a few minutes. "Hey, we don't really talk about it a lot.. but, uh, how are you?" He asked.
       "Fine." I replied. "You?"
"About as good as I can be." He answered. "You know, having one eye and all."
I smiled. "Good." I said.
"Hey, remember that time.. when it was raining. Right before we came to Alexandria?" He asked. I nodded. "I just, I wanted to say, I kinda enjoyed it. Dancing in the rain. Thank you for making me."
"Of course."

And the perfect moment arose to do it again. Rain fell on the roof. Not hard, but there.
I looked at Carl, who sat on the other side of Judith. "Hey, Gabriel!" I yelled. He walked in from the kitchen.
"Yes?" He replied.
"Watch Judith for me? Carl and I are going to do something."
"We are?" Carl asked. I nodded.
"Sure." Gabriel replied. He took her from Carl, and I grabbed Carl's hand.
"Let's go." I said. I dragged him out of the house.
I handed him a headphone to my mp3 player. I pressed play, and did a curtsy. He smiled, and looked away awkwardly. I took his hands as 'We Belong Together' by Ritchie Valens played.
"French doors." He mouthed as we did the motions. He spun me around carefully, paying attention to the cords from the headphones. He spun me around the other way, then dipped.
I smiled as he lifted me back up. I put my hands around his neck as we swayed back and forth to the music.
We stopped as the headphones went quiet. I wrapped them up. I looked at him, soaked. I looked at his hat. "Let me just.. borrow that." I said. I took it off his head and put it on mine. "How do I look?"
He laughed. "Great." He said. "Give me my hat back."
"I think I'm gonna keep it." I said. He shook his head and smiled, then plucked the hat off my head. I laughed as he grabbed my hand and pulled me back inside.
"Let me get towels." He said.
"Nah, don't bother. I should be getting back now anyways. I highly doubt Denise still wants to watch Bella." I said.
"Want me to walk you home?" He asked. I shook my head. "I insist, actually."
I shook my head again. "I'll be fine. Stay with Judith" I said.
"Are you sure?" He asked.
"Yeah." I said. "Thanks though."
I stood on my tip-toes and kissed his cheek before running out the door, using my coat to shield myself from the rain.
I ran by Tara and Denise's, who had recently moved in together, and picked up Bella.
She and I ran home. "All right." I said. "Nap time."
She was always willing to take naps, luckily. While she sleep, I was able to shower and change.
As I walked down the stairs, I heard tapping on the door. I opened it.
"Hey, Rick wants everyone at the church." Daryl said. "Oh, and before I forget.." He handed me a can. "Dr. Pepper. Just as you requested."
I smiled and hugged him. "Thanks." I said. "I'll be there."
He nodded, then walked away. I shut the door and woke Bella up.