The Accident (Flashback)

Author's note, November 12th, 2017: Hello everyone! Long time no see~ I posted this in my about already, but for anyone who didn't see who's new or returning, I'm also posting it in all of my works! I have opened a new account on Quotev where I'll post my writing since I think it's improved a lot over the past, like, year (basically since the last time I posted a story online). If you'd like to check it out, the link is https://www.quotev.com/sunmii. I'll likely start taking requests there once I get a bigger following and establish myself better :) Thank you all for your immense love <3 See you soon!

-

(Reader's POV)

My mom was never a very good driver. I'd never felt completely safe in her car when she was driving. But we hadn't ever gotten in an accident (somehow), so after a while, I learned not to worry so much.

Still, it was bound to happen. I had seen car wrecks and heard about them, but I'd never been in one myself. I couldn't imagine what it was like.

...And then one day...it happened...

It was during my parents' divorce. Mom was a broken mess and I felt like I was smothered under her heartbreak. She'd caught my dad with another woman and he'd filed for a divorce a month later. I never really liked my father anyway. He seemed like a scoundrel, always getting in trouble and doing reckless things. Yet I hadn't expected him to do something so foul, so heartless.

In a few days, my parents would no longer be married. My father would go live with his new fiancé and his soon-to-be-born child. My mom and I? Well, I had no idea what was going to happen to us. I was so young that I barely understood what was going on.

"We'll go live at my mom's for a while, I think," my said as she drove us to the water park. Despite her broken state, she insisted that we not cancel girls' night (which came once a week). It was one of the only things that could truly take her mind off of things.

Somehow, my mom still managed to keep it together enough to care for me. With the little money that my dad sent and my mom's decent-paying job, we could keep our small apartment and get the necessary supplies needed for living.

But it was hard. It was definitely hard... I did my best for my mom, but a 9 year old can only do so much for a suddenly single parent.

"Almost there, sweetie," my mom said, trying to smile for me. I sighed, seeing how hard it was for her to keep from crying all the time. She dearly loved my father, even though she knew he was no good.

She got onto the highway. Neither of us knew what tragedy was about to occur.

A car, a black, shiny one, came up behind us, swerving. The driver was drunk, I think, but thinking back, it seemed like maybe something had gone wrong with the car. This time, it wouldn't be my mom's driving that put us in such danger.

All of a sudden, there was a big crash and our car was practically sent flying into the jersey barrier. Both my mom and I screamed and her arm went out in front of me, but it was too late. Her neck snapped...she was killed instantly. I lurched forward from the impact and was knocked out cold.

The last thing I thought about was Jin...my best friend and childhood crush, Kim Seokjin. He'd always been so kind to me and played games on the playground with me at school when all the other kids avoided me. I was considered the weird one, always quiet and awkward. Kids tended to steer clear of me. I didn't understand why? I was always nice to them. But maybe I was unknowingly doing something wrong.

Still, Jin was always there. He was always by my side; my shoulder to cry on, the person I could go to for comfort when I was bullied, the only one who understood me.

But now...if I died...what would happen to him? What if he actually didn't care? What if it turned out he never really liked me. What if he was only there for me out of pity?...

All those thoughts slipped from my mind as I was forced into unconsciousness...

I developed amnesia and forget nearly everything from my childhood. I had to be reintroduced to my father. His fiancé came with him. "Is that my mom?" I had asked. My father gave me a sad look and shook his head. I was then told of my mother's death in the crash.

Apparently I had in a coma for about a week. My dad said that Jin had been visiting every day. "Who is Jin?" His eyes widened and he turned away for a moment, taking a deep breath.

"Jin is your best friend. You two are always together," he said, sadly, hoping that I would maybe remember, but I just nodded slowly.

"Oh...is he coming here today?" My father nodded and just then, the door opened and in stepped Jin. To me, he was just another face I didn't recognize, though. "Hello...are you Jin?" I asked. A woman was with him; his mother. When I asked that question, he turned to her and hid his face in her shirt. I blinked in confusion. "Is he...is he crying?" I asked my dad, but received no answer.

Jin and his mother walked over to my bedside. "Hello, (y/n). My name is Kim Ga Young. And this is my son, Kim Seokjin. It's very nice to meet you." She smiled and held out her hand. I took it and we shook. I looked to Jin.

"Hello, Jin- I mean, Seokjin. Is it okay if I just call you Jin?" He hesitated and then nodded, looking at the ground. I grinned. "Hi, Jin-sshi! I'm (y/n). I know that we were best friends. My dad told me. I'm really sorry I don't remember you... I don't remember much of anything right now." He nodded silently, not making eye contact with me. I frowned. "I'm really sorry..."

Suddenly, I started to cry. My dad wrapped his arm around my shoulders and held me close as I cried into his chest. "I feel so bad! I don't remember anyone or anything. I don't remember my own mother, my own father, my own best friend!" I sobbed. He kissed the top of my head.

"It's okay...it's not your fault, honey, it's not your fault at all..." He looked up at Jin's mother and she nodded, leading her son to the door. They exited silently.

I fell asleep in my father's arms and the next morning, I didn't remember a thing from the previous day. None of my memories were back.

A/N

Sorry it's so depressing... I didn't mean to make it that way... But it'll be happy soon, don't worry!

AND CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT'S JINNIE IN THE PICTURE?! HE'S JUST SO ADORABLE ALL THE TIME! (And puberty hit him perfectly~)