49.5

July 2008

I'm sorry...

Madelyn woke up in a pain she'd never felt before. It was worse than monthly stabbings. Much worse. And there was something sticky. And copper smelling.

She tried getting up, but slumped back down. Tears brimmed her eyes.

She managed to grab her phone and called her sister. "Reagan? Something's wrong."

"I'm on my way."

Not even an hour later, Reagan burst into the room.

She ran up to her sister and lifted the covers.

"What is it?" Madelyn asked. "I don't want to look."

"Blood," she replied softly. "Come on, let's get you to the hospital."

"I'll stain your seats."

"You really think I care? Something is wrong and we need to figure it out."

"Reagan, I need you to promise not to tell the others. Not yet."

Reagan met her eyes and nodded. "Okay."

She drove to the nearest hospital and Madelyn was immediately taken in.

After an exam and numerous tests, the doctor looked at her sympathetically. "Mrs. Winchester, I regret to inform you that you've had a miscarriage. From what we've been able to determine, you're able to get pregnant, but you have a difficult time staying pregnant."

"Will I be able to have a baby at all?" Madelyn asked in a shaky voice.

"It is possible, but it won't be easy."

She nodded and turned away from her sister and the doctor. "Please go."

Reagan squeezed her sister's shoulder. "I'll be just outside."

As soon as the door closed, Madelyn let the tears fall. She cried for the husband she'd never see again and for the child that had so tragically been taken from her before she'd met him or her.