iii. pack mentality

Lunch trays in hand, Scott and Stiles head to an open table in the cafeteria. "Dreams aren't memories." Stiles informs, referring to Scott's very vivid dream that he had last night.

"Then it wasn't a dream." Scott concludes. "Something happened last night. And I can't remember what." They sit down at a table together with their trays.

"How are you so sure Derek has all the answers?"

"Because on the full moon he wasn't changed. He was in total control. And I was running around in the middle of the night attacking some totally innocent guy." Scott whispers.

"You don't know that."

"I don't not know it." He murmurs. "I can't go out with Allison. I have to cancel."

"No, you don't. You can't cancel your entire life. We'll figure it out." Stiles says, holding a french fry in his hand.

Lydia and Cody sit down next to Scott, their trays landing on the table. "Figure what out?" Lydia asks.

Scott shrugs, trying to be nonchalant. "Uh... Homework. Just homework."

Lydia smiles before turning back to her brother.

"Why is she sitting with us?" Stiles whispers to Scott who shrugs. Allison then comes over and he removes his backpack from the seat he was saving for her.

"Thanks." Allison says, her perfect smile radiating as Cody glances at her for a moment. She gives him a small smile, the boy returning one before he averts his eyes, noticing Lydia's smirk.

Stiles still holds that french fry, watching with increasing surprise as Lydia's female friend, one of Jackson's lacrosse teammates, Jake, and Danny the Goalie sit down with them as well. Glancing to the pretty girl now on his left Stiles gives her a big smile. She smiles back. Then he looks to Danny on his right. Gives him a smile too. Finally, Stiles starts eating that french fry, quite pleased to see that the popular table has come to them.

Until Jackson comes over. He glares at Jake who is sat on the other side of Lydia, at the head of the table.

"Get up." Jackson orders, causing everyone to look at them.

"How come you never ask Danny to get up?" Jake whines.

"Because I don't stare at his girlfriend's coin slot." Danny comments, an apple in his hand as he smirks.

Jake sighs as he grabs his tray and moves to another table. Jackson sits down next to Lydia and Danny. But his glare fixates on Scott. Not
at all happy this kid that has somehow infiltrated his crew. And Cody is giving Scott the same glare, but because he's all cozied up with Allison. They're dating now. Like, actually dating.

"So I hear they're saying it's an animal attack. Probably a cougar." Danny starts, conversing about the man who was brutally injured.

"I heard mountain lion." Jackson says.

"A cougar is a mountain lion." Lydia informs automatically. She glances up to see she's corrected her boyfriend who quirks an eyebrow at her. "Isn't it?" She asks, playing dumb.

Cody shakes his head in silence, wondering why she insisted on acting like there was nothing in her brain.

"Who cares? The guy's probably some
homeless tweaker who's gonna die anyway." Jackson comments.

"Actually, I just found out who he is. Check it out." The others turn to Stiles to see him looking at his phone. Everyone crowds around to watch a news report on the display. Only Lydia stays where she is, utterly indifferent.

The news reporter speaks, "Identified the victim of the possible animal attack as Garrison Meyers-"

"Hey, I know this guy." Scott exclaims in surprise, taking the phone from Stiles. "Back when I used to take the bus when I lived with my Dad. He was the driver."