𝑪𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 1: 𝑻𝒉𝒆 𝑩𝒆𝒂𝒔𝒕 𝑾𝒊𝒕𝒉𝒊𝒏

Marcus stood outside the small cabin, staring out at the vast forest that surrounded him. It had been months since he had left the agency, but the memories of his past still haunted him. He had seen and done things that no human being should ever have to endure, and it had left him scarred and broken.

As he stood there, lost in thought, he heard a rustling in the bushes. Instinctively, he reached for his gun, but then he saw her. A young woman, no more than twenty, emerged from the bushes, looking lost and frightened.

"What are you doing out here?" Marcus asked, his voice gruff and harsh.

The woman looked up at him, her eyes wide with fear. "I was hiking, and I got lost. I've been wandering around for hours."

Marcus studied her for a moment, his eyes taking in her long brown hair and innocent face. She was nothing like the people he had encountered in his line of work - jaded and cold, with no sense of humanity.

He softened his tone. "Come inside. It's not safe out here."

The woman hesitated for a moment before nodding and following Marcus inside the cabin.

The cabin was small but cozy, with a fire roaring in the fireplace and a few basic necessities scattered around the room. Marcus gestured for the woman to sit down on the couch while he went to make some tea.

As he boiled water on the stove, Marcus couldn't help but think about the woman sitting on his couch. She was a stranger, and he knew nothing about her, yet he felt drawn to her in a way he couldn't explain.

When he returned with the tea, the woman was huddled up on the couch, looking small and vulnerable. Marcus handed her a cup and sat down across from her.

"What's your name?" he asked.

"Sophie," she replied, taking a sip of the tea.

Marcus studied her for a moment, then decided to take a chance. "Sophie, I'm going to be honest with you. I'm not a good person. I've done things that I'm not proud of, and I have a temper that I can't always control."

Sophie looked up at him, her eyes full of compassion. "I don't believe that," she said. "I can see that you have a good heart."

Marcus scoffed. "Trust me, Sophie, I don't have a good heart. I'm a beastly, aggressive man with anger issues. You should stay away from me."

Sophie looked at him for a moment, then reached out and took his hand. "I'm not afraid of you," she said. "I believe that everyone has the capacity for good, and I can see that in you."

Marcus felt a surge of emotion at her words. No one had ever looked at him the way Sophie was looking at him now - with kindness and understanding.

He knew that he should push her away, that he was too damaged to let anyone get close to him. But he found himself wanting to believe her, wanting to let down his guard and let her in.

For the first time in a long time, Marcus felt a glimmer of hope. Maybe, just maybe, he could find peace and heal with Sophie by his side.