Chapter 2: Pokemon Training 101

March 12, 2010

Wild Area Several Miles Outside of Motostroke, Galar

James, Abigail and Viktor were all sitting by a lake as they waited for Leon to arrive. They were waiting for ten minutes as Leon had yet to show up. Abigail had her headphones on as she was listening to some music while her Grookey was tapping her side with it's twig, James was watching as his Scorbunny was running around burning small patches of grass with its feet and Viktor was looking around for Leon as his Riolu was meditating on the grass.

"Do you two actually think he is going to show up? It's been ten minutes already." Viktor questions as James simply shrugged.

"Relax Vik, he'll be here. Maybe he's just running late." James responded to him as Abby was just focused on her music when both James and Viktor could hear some footsteps followed by someone shouting in the distance. James then waved his hand in front of Abby's face as she quickly looked up wondering what was going on.

"Crap, I'm so late!" They all turned to see Leon and Charizard running towards them.

"I told you that we should've gone this way Leon." They could hear as his brother, Hop, was right behind him

"Ah, there you are." Vik replies as Leon stops to catch his breath.

"I am so sorry guys...directions are not my strong suit at all." He says as his Charizard just shakes his head in response. "But I am here now. I wanted to show you all some of the basics of being a trainer."

"I'd be happy to learn sir" Vik responds to him.

"That's great! I also brought along my little brother to help me out." He says as Hop nods.

"He is correct about that. We didn't have much time for any introductions yesterday but like my brother mentioned, my name is Hop. I'm an assistant to Professor Sonia and a Pokemon Professor in training. It's nice to meet you all officially." He shakes Vik's hand followed by Abby's and James'.

"Nice to meet you too." James says to him as Hop then takes a step back and lets Leon lead.

"Alright guys, I'm going to tell you guys the first step in being a Pokemon trainer. It's that you have to understand that our Pokemon are more than just creatures or tools, and that they are our partners. We work together to achieve our goals and dreams, which in turn builds a strong bond between people and Pokemon. So I want you three to form a strong bond with the Pokemon I gave you yesterday and treat them with love and care." Leon explains in a rather serious tone to the three as they nod. "Excellent. But the major way to build up trust with your Pokemon is to battle other Pokemon."

"You always have to refer to battling don't you big bro?" Hop chuckled a little.

"I'm being serious though Hop, you know it and I know it." Leon tells him as Hop simply shrugs.

"You aren't exactly wrong. So what, are you going to have all of them participate in a battle?" He questioned as Leon had a smile on his face.

"Exactly. Good to see we are on the same page." He says as he turns to everyone as James, Abby and Vik all look at Leon a little confused. "So, how about it? Want to try your hand at battling?"

"Of course! I've been looking forward to this." James was excited about it

"But there are three of us sir. Who would be the fourth trainer?" Abby asked him curiously.

"That is where Hop comes in. He will be the one who challenges the leftover trainer. How about you face Abby, James and then that leaves Hop and Viktor?"

"That's fine with me." Vik replies, turning to see Hop looking through his team.

"Hell yeah, I'm down for that!" James responds as Abby nods.