🍁 Fifteen : Past Meets Present

PAST MEETS PRESENT

PAST MEETS PRESENT

Genevieve's childhood with Evan was filled with moments of joy and companionship. 

Even though he was just a figment of her imagination, Evan provided her with comfort and support during her early years.

1985.

Genevieve was five years old. At an early age, she considered herself to have a friend, albeit more of a figment of her imagination. His name was Evan, the little boy who visited her every day.

To her, he seemed like a real person, someone she could always play with when no one else was around.

1986.

As Genevieve grew older, her bond with Evan deepened. He began to treat her more like a sister than just a playmate.

On her sixth birthday, celebrated just a month ago, Evan visited her in her bedroom after her parents had put her to sleep. He watched her peacefully slumber, clutching her favorite teddy bear.

Every night, Evan would perch on the couch near the window, with the curtain pulled back, gazing at the stars.

1987.

With the start of homeschooling, Genevieve found herself spending even more time with Evan. He would sit beside her as she studied, often helping her solve problems she found difficult.

Once, he even peeked into Mrs. Johnson's book, what he jokingly called cheating, to help Genevieve find the right answers.

He knew he shouldn't be doing it, but he couldn't bear to see Genevieve struggle.

A day later, Evan began to fade away.

1988.

Genevieve's parents took her to Busan, where she met a renowned psychic in town.

After that encounter, Evan vanished from her life entirely.

March 25th, 2010.

It had been twenty-one years since Genevieve last encountered Evan, and now he had reappeared in her life.

Evan considered himself her best friend, but Genevieve had long forgotten about him, consumed by thoughts of her illness.

She wondered why, after all these years and despite her relatively healthy life, she had now met him again. Was he somehow connected to her current struggles? Perhaps his return was a gift, just as Samuel had suggested the day before.

Genevieve blinked at Evan, feeling bewildered.

Evan tried to meet her gaze, his excitement evident. "Evie, do you finally remember me?" he asked eagerly. "I'm Evan," he said, patting his chest. "Evan. Your best friend!"

Genevieve shook her head without meeting his eyes. "I'm sorry, I still don't know who you are."

His smile faded, replaced by sadness.

"Are you sure, Evie?" he asked, his tone tinged with disappointment. "Are you sure you're not lying?"

She shook her head again.

"But it was nice talking with you, Evan."

Evan attempted to smile through his tears.

Just then, Genevieve's phone rang, displaying Vincent's name on the screen.

"Sorry, I have to answer this call," she said, walking away from Evan and heading indoors.

Evan bit his bottom lip, struggling to contain his emotions. 

Sitting down on the deck, he wiped away the tears that lingered in the corners of his eyes.

"Maybe I shouldn't force her to remember me. I'm so clueless," he whispered, his voice shaky with emotion.

Snow approached, resting his body next to Evan. "Oh, Snow..." Evan stroked Snow's back, finding solace in the comforting presence of the cat. "Thank you." Snow meowed softly, brushing his head against Evan's thigh, eliciting a small, genuine giggle from Evan.

Genevieve was reclining on the sofa in the living room, engaged in a conversation with Vincent over the phone.

"So, you're not coming home?" she asked, her brow furrowing in concern.

"Yes, Evie. I'll be heading to Busan in about a week," Vincent informed her.

It was five in the evening in Toronto, and Vincent was in his office room, in the midst of packing his belongings to visit his parents.

"Probably just for two or three days," he added.

"But, what are you doing there?" Genevieve inquired, her curiosity piqued.

Vincent let out a sigh, attempting to mask his discomfort with a casual tone. "Oh, just some work-related matters. Another project is coming up, but I won't be gone for long. Don't worry."

Genevieve exhaled softly, a tinge of sadness evident in her voice. "Okay, I'll be waiting."

Vincent managed a small smile, although he felt a pang of guilt for not being entirely forthcoming.

In reality, his father had no immediate plans for a project in Busan. 

However, they had recently discussed the business prospects of a cruise ship, which would kick off in the next two years.

"Well, I have to go now, Evie," Vincent said, shouldering his laptop backpack. "I love you."

"I love you too," Genevieve replied, her voice soft and weary. With a sigh, she ended the call and rubbed her palms over her face.

Before leaving his office, Vincent glanced down at his desk, where a stack of newspapers containing Lady Susan's address, phone number, and a photo of her from her arrest were neatly arranged.

He stowed them away in his small notebook before departing.

End of chapter Fifteen.