Chapter 13

TW: Talk of suicide, self harm, and bullying

Omniscient POV:

Hunter had a few good friends of hers take Jasmine home. She had a black and purple eye, two knots on her head, a bloody mouth and nose, and bruised ribs. She went home extremely ashamed and embarrassed. Not only because she was beaten in front of almost the entire junior and senior class, but because she knew what Sade was capable of, yet tried her anyway. Never again.

Lauren told Aria and Kingston she'd take Sade home. They agreed, already figuring she would anyway. Silas and Kingston rode back to Kingston's house with Aria. She let Dylan know she'd see him tomorrow.

Sade texted her mom and sisters letting them know she'd be spending the night at Lauren's. On the way there, they spoke of Jasmine and Sade's history. Sade figured it was time she filled Lauren in on their unpleasant past with one another.

"So you two were a thing?" Lauren asked for clarification. Sade let out a long sigh,

"Yes but not really. Looking back, it was a typical middle school relationship. She was my first romantic attachment. I think that's why it hurt as bad as it did, and it made me do what I did. As a 'girlfriend' though-" she did air quotes around the word, "she was awful. But hey the hell did I know at the time."

Lauren took her time before responding. She tried her best to process what she was being told and put herself into young Sade's shoes. Sade understood her silence and allowed her to take as long as she needed.

"And she just cut you off? No explanation?" Lauren finally spoke. Sade nodded as she reminisced how she felt back then when Jasmine stopped speaking to her and blocked her on all social media.

Jasmine didn't come to school for a week. When she returned, she was a completely different person, especially to Sade. While away, Jasmine didn't speak to Sade at all, not a text, a call, not even a letter. Sade was confused, but she just assumed Jasmine was in trouble and got her devices taken. Just before she left, Jasmine was telling Sade they'd be together forever. So when Jasmine returned with a completely new look and attitude, she didn't understand what had changed. Jasmine became extremely mean toward Sade, almost like her bully.

"Everyday, she called me ugly, worthless, fat, unlovable, and a disappointment. I took every word she spoke to heart, and hard. One day, I couldn't take it anymore, I couldn't stand being alive. Jasmine told me earlier that day at school that no one would ever love me, especially if I'm gay. She said every moment we shared was fake and she did it just out of boredom. That she couldn't believe she went along with it for so long and that I actually liked her for real. I believed her too. Every word." Sade explained to Lauren. By now they were both holding back tears, but Lauren was more than Sade. She wanted to be strong for her, even though hearing this really broke her heart.

"I went home and sat in my bedroom for about two hours just staring at the wall. I was crying, thinking of ways to take myself out. Next thing I knew I was on my mom's bathroom floor unresponsive. She found me and rushed me to the hospital," Sade continued, staring at the dashboard as tears streamed down her face with no signs of stopping.

Lauren reached over and wiped as many as she could with her thumb, but they just kept flowing. She let out a dry chuckle that held no humor as she shook her head in disbelief,

"You wanna know what's funny?" Sade glanced over at her, but didn't meet her eyes.

Lauren caressed her cheek. "What baby?" she said as gently as she could. Her face was contorted sympathetically as she looked at Sade. She was sad to see her girlfriend, who was always being so strong and so mature, break down like this.