Chapter 6

The silence that followed the King's retreat from outside your door was deafening. You had visions of him barging into the room and dragging you kicking and screaming back into the cell, to rot for the rest of your days, but luckiily he didn't even attempt to enter, just left you with the memory of his intense anger. He was incredibly quick to it and you had to admit that the speed with which his ire had sparked scared you. Nobody else had disturbed you since he took his leave and you were fairly certain he meant what he said. That you weren't going to be given any food unless you decided to eat with him and his son... and that would happen over your dead body.

You had the window sitting open and were focusing on lowering the sheets you had tied together out of it, watching its descent as it moved closer to the ledge that you were aiming for below. One end had been tied to a post on the - in your opinion - rather overly grand bed. From there it trailed across the room and out the window.

When the door opened, you jumped a mile and turned to face it, looking like a rabbit caught in a trap. The she-elf from before walked into the room carrying a little tray upon which sat what you assumed to be a pot of tea. She moved across the room and set the tray down on a table by the corner, her gaze moving from the tea to you and to the sheets hanging out the window. The tiniest of smiles tugged at her lips and she turned her attention back to the cup as she poured some of the tea into it. "How about some tea first?" She said gently, turning to hold the cup out to you, mild amusement shining in her eyes. "It's cold out there."

Your cheeks flooded pink as you moved slowly away from the window, going to sit on the edge of the bed with a soft sigh. You supposed you were thankful she wasn't running immediately out of the room to call the guard you knew would still be out there, or fetching the King himself. You shuddered a little and you know she noticed but she didn't say anything, just handed you the cup and watched you as you had a sip.

"Uh. Thank you..." You murmured, looking back at the now fairly familiar face of the she-elf in front of you. "What's your name?"

"Myleth." The elf smiled, offering her name with a little nod. You returned the favour, giving your own name and she seemed like she was genuinely interested which surprised you. You had a few more sips of the tea, which you had to admit was very nice, and then Myleth moved back towards the tray. "I've to take you to get dinner." She said, causing you to tense up. She noticed as she turned back with the tray and gave you a kind look. "Do not worry. The King will not be there." What had transpired since your arrival was no longer secret in Mirkwood.

This caused you to frown as you stood from the bed, carefully placing the teacup on the tray as Myleth held it towards you. "I don't understand. He said--"

Myleth moved back out the door, gesturing for you to follow her along the corridor. "He says a lot of things, dearie." Was all she said as she led you along a walkway towards some stairs. Frowning, you trailed along beside her, trying to keep your expression neutral but you couldn't quite hide your wonder as you gazed at your surroundings. This place was something beautiful to behold, you had to admit. Myleth smiled as she glanced at you. "And you haven't even seen the half of this place."

You smiled slightly, caught but you didn't mind. "I don't suppose I ever will." You found yourself saying, glancing back up.

"Nonsense." Myleth waved her hand. "You will see everything soon enough, I am sure."

You gave her a curious look. How could you if you were locked away in a room for the rest of your life?

"What's up there?" You found yourself asking after a moment of silence in which your eyes found a set of stairs that were set far back into the wall, winding slightly, half concealed by a thick ruby red curtain, as if someone was attempting to hide it.