Chapter 17

The morning seemed to come too quickly after you had closed your eyes, Myleth waking you with a tray of breakfast. Your eyes opened slowly and you groaned, burrowing back beneath the blankets, gaining a chuckle from Myleth as she threw open the curtains. "Come now, it's a beautiful day." She trilled, turning to pull some clothes from the small wardrobe for you, setting them on the edge of the bed. Where the new clothing had come from, you weren't sure at all, but you had been grateful for it considering you had arrived with only the clothes on your back.

Peeking out from the blankets, you huffed and threw them off. Myleth chuckled again as you moved to the small adjoining washroom to freshen yourself up for the day ahead, coming back to dress a short time later. She was sitting in a chair across the room, nibbling one of the breakfast biscuits from the tray she had brought and you couldn't help the amused smile as you watched her.

"A little bird told me that the King escorted you to your room last night." Myleth said, causing you to drop the skirt that you'd been admiring.

"What?!" You turned to look at her, eyes wide, unsure who could have seen you and why it was even a big deal. You were sure it wasn't... but it sort of felt like one.

Myleth clapped her hands together, chuckling. "Oh, it's true!" She said, excited as she looked back at you. "I was worried when he took your dinner tray from me and insisted on bringing it to you himself but I see no harm came from it at all!"

"It is no big thing..." You muttered, turning away so she wouldn't be able to see your face flushing.

"No big thing?!" She practically squealed, watching the back of your head curiously. "The King does not make it a habit of walking everybody in the realm back to their rooms... least of all those he insists are prisoners."

You turned back to Myleth with a stunned expression, shaking your head. "I do not think I like what you are implying!"

She held her hands up, chuckling, not put out at all by your shock. "Do not worry. I am simply gossiping."

You knew that Myleth was most definitely considered a gossip around here but you hoped that this particular notion of hers would stay locked up tight in her mind and not be gossiped about with anybody else. Though, all through breakfast in the dining hall, your mind was completely distracted even as you tried to engage in conversation with the others, and you could not help but wonder...

───────────────────────────────────

Lunch came and went and you trailed slowly back to your room, dragging your feet, your heart feeling like lead in your chest. You weren't sure what you were feeling but anxiety was definitely mixed in there. Almost every time you ended up in Thranduil's presence, you only ended up arguing, and you were not in the mood for it this day.

When you turned the corner to your room, he was already there, standing looking up at a painting on the wall. He turned to look at you when you approached. He was wearing black breeches and a deep burgundy tunic. His hair fell free as usual and he bore no circlet upon his brow. He looked both casual and kingly all at the same time.

"Oh, my king, have I kept you waiting?" You wondered, feeling this was already not going so well. "I am sorry, forgive me."

A small smile graced his lips as he looked at you, shaking his head. "Please." He lifted his hand and waved off the apology. "No... I admit, I was early."

You did your best not to frown but you were confused by that. If anything, you expected him to arrive late. You still couldn't even understand what he could possibly want to show you, why he would want to spend any time with you. You were curious and apprehensive, considering your past interactions with the king. You simply nodded and worked up a slight smile.