Five: Cinder

"So did you get what you were looking for? I know poverty and depression must be a huge turn on for you." I crossed my arms, watching the dark-haired goddess from across our shitty porch. She all but dwarfed the rickety space, and to my utter annoyance I couldn't deny the attraction I felt watching her dark eyes light up with the stars in the sky. If she was annoyed by my snarky attitude, she gave no indication of it.

"You assume I am the monster, yet it is you who is surrounded by them." Her voice was a low purr, layered in something that sounded like suppressed irritation. That made me smile, I was pleased that I could get a reaction out of her.

"Well so far, you've threatened to rape me, kidnap me, and murder my whole town," I counted my fingers. "You can't expect me to expect much."

She flashed me a brief and startling grin. "Fair."

I swallowed at the sight of her sharp canines and rippling armor, blurting out words before I could stop myself. "What kind of armor is that?"

She glanced down, as if she'd completely forgotten she was wearing it. "The not-of-your-world kind. Why? Do you want to touch it?"

My face screwed up. "I'll pass thanks, and just so you know, that was the worst pick-up line ever." Her head cocked to the side, giving her the look of a predator stalking its prey, and a shiver went down my back.

"Your crude language has always grated on my nerves. Speak plainly, human, or not at all."

I sighed, scrubbing a hand down my face. "Okay look, a few days ago my life was completely normal. Sad and stressful, yes, but normal. And then one day I decide to go hunting and happen to bleed on some mystical rune that awakens a bitchy old lady with a grudge against the race of creatures that destroyed our world and wiped out half of earth's population. What do you want me to say? I'm sorry I didn't throw you a welcome home party?" I sneered, my voice quieting when she stepped forward, the shadows of my house gathering menacingly behind her.

"It was just a question." I defended, feeling my heartbeat speed up in my chest but making no moves to back away from her. She stopped in front of me, a wall of flesh and bone and barely concealed power. I went still when her hand reached out, releasing the slightest of flinches as her fingers brushed my cheek, a flicker of emotion flaring in her eyes.

"Forgive me, it was not my intention to offend you. I have been gone for a long while, my socialization skills aren't exactly up to par." She whispered, bending her head and I stopped breathing when her breath misted across my lips. Yeah, this was exactly the fuckery I was talking about. I'd gone three years without sex, and here she appears like every girl's goddamn wet dream. I fought the urge to lean away and instead flicked my gaze to hers, enjoying the way her pupils dilated in response.

"Apology accepted." I murmured and she blinked, leaning away, a frown materializing at her lips. Her brow pinched together like she was contemplating her actions and closeness to me.

I smirked. "What's wrong? Is my sex-appeal showing?" She reared back, disgust flashing across her face. I fought the urge to wince, discretely sniffing my armpits. Deodorant was hard to come by, but hey a girl's gotta smell good even in the middle of the apocalypse.

"Well this has been fun, but believe it or not I have to work tomorrow morning so if you don't mind, I am going to bed." I drawled, moving to inch away from her, keeping my back against the house so she was always in my line of sight. I groped for the door handle, looking away for a split second, and before I knew it her arm was wrapping around my waist and spinning me around. Instinct kicked in and my arm flew out, my fist miraculously knocked her in the mouth. Her head whipped to the side, and fear pumped through me as the crack of bone echoed around us. "I'm so sorry, that really was an accident. Please don't kill me."