Chapter 10

I sat in my office doing paperwork, trying to keep my mind from spiraling towards my daughter and how I screwed up at dinner just an hour ago. I can't believe I said that to her though, especially with the tone of voice that I had when I said that to her. How could I have been so inconsiderate of her past?! I was told that she was abused by her stepfather Craig by the doctor from her little hometown, and still, here I am scaring her with my voice. I'm an awful father, I don't deserve my principessa. She deserves so much more than the life she will have to live just by being my daughter. She will have to live a life of lies and treachery, the life of a mafia principessa... Just then, as if my father could tell that I was doubting the need to involve my daughter in the family business, my phone started to ring. I picked it up from where I had placed it face down on the desk to see my father's contact on the screen, causing me to sigh before answering the phone call. "Yes, papa?"

"That is no way to answer the phone Figlio." My father growls through the speaker, and I could only imagine the frown that grew deeper on his face. After a few moments of silence, he finally gets on with what he called me for. "I called a friend of mine Angelo... We will be having a bit of a get-together with some of my friends, and you are coming. Along with all of the Bambini..." (Children)

"No, I will not bring the Bambini papa. I will come, but by myself. Rosetta needs time to adjust, and she doesn't know about the family business yet-" I say, not willing to let my daughter be corrupted by my father but he cut me off.

"Yes, you will bring them, all of them, Angelo. You would do well to remember who really is in charge." My father says, all but yelling at me. "Remember, I won't hesitate to make your life a living hell if you so much as leave one of them at home."

"I already consider being the Capo for Angeli dell'Inferno, papa. You know that papa, that I hate being the Capo. Plus, everyone knows that you still call the shots, at least all the important ones. So, what's the point in me being the Capo?" I ask, but I already know the answer. (Angels of Hell) My father was forced to step down and hand over the title of Capo to me when I was 23, much to my displeasure.

"Figlio, you know that I was forced to give you my title, but just because you have that title doesn't mean anything. I will always call the shots, so bring my nipoti with you in two weeks to The Angels Hall for this important meeting. If you leave them, you won't like the consequences. Oh, by the way. Make sure Rosetta knows about the family business by then. Okay?"(Grandchildren) (Totally made this up, it is the place where they meet up with other influential underground people)

I hold in my sigh of despair, my shoulders falling in defeat. "Okay Papa, I understand..." I murmur, and shortly after that our conversation was over. I sat at my desk and stared at nothing, dreading having to tell my daughter that I only found out about two days ago that I was the 'leader' of the biggest mafia in Italy. "Sono regalmente fregato..." I say to the empty room, trying to keep the feeling of despair from setting in too much. (I'm royally screwed...)