i. new neighbors

i. new neighbors

My mom never fails to tell me that I was her miracle.

That I was the only thing to pull her from her depression once my older brother, Levi died of leukemia a year before I was conceived.

You see, after giving birth to Levi, doctors told my parents that it would be impossible for Mom to carry and birth another child.

Hence my nickname—'The Miracle Baby.'

Growing up, I was spoiled and doted upon by my nine fathers and my mother, Sang. I never wanted for nothing, and I never experienced being alone.

That's why I was so anxious to open my wings and explore the world with my best friend, Kylie Toma, by my side.

That was until Mom had another breakdown about my leaving until I promised her that I would think clearly about my decision until I was honestly sure about leaving the 'Blackbourne' nest.

"Just think..." Kylie groaned, her brown skin glowing in the sun as we reclined in the yard in front of my house. "We could be having the time of our lives relaxing in Thailand, instead we're...here." She says, red painted lips forming a pout. Giggling quietly, I looked behind my shoulder to watch Papa North and Uncle Brandon inside the garage—paying us no mind.

"I'm sorry, Ky. You should have gone without me." I said frowning. Kylie's eyes bulged, "Fuck that! Girl, we've been best friends since diapers, there's no way I'd go without you. We planned this trip together, and we'll go on this trip together." She said, stubbornly.

"We will," I assured, "For now, let's just enjoy our summer."

"Can't believe we don't have to go back to school once summer's over." Kylie sighed, painting on a wistful smile, "I'm gonna miss it. Sorta." She added carelessly.

Nodding, I folded my arms around myself and crossed my ankles. "So will I." I smiled, "It's odd, you know? We've graduated. I guess this is where our lives start for real."