Chapter-9

Hadrian adjusted the strap of his bag as he gathered his nerve.

The first few compartments he had passed already had students in them, mostly older ones that had reserved their seats for friends. When he had peeked in he had noticed some of them checking out his forehead, mostly out of curiosity since they didn't seem to disappoint at the lack of scar visible underneath his wild hair.

He finally found an empty one not too far from the front and sat down. The seat wasn't too comfortable, though he could probably fall asleep on it if he wanted. He could have done without all the bright red though. It was like staring at the Iron Man suit for hours on end.

Hadrian took off his messenger bag and pulled out the box his mother had given him. He opened it, not surprised to see that it had another box inside of it, this one a smooth black with a combination lock. Hadrian entered his mom's actual birth year and the box clicked open to reveal a stack of photos.

They were all from the dance class Hadrian had tried out when he was younger and talked his mom into joining him. Hadrian found that ballet definitely wasn't for him, but had continued on for several lessons just to see his mom dance. The look on her face as she twirled around had been something Hadrian wanted her to do again and again.

Smiling softly, Hadrian put the pictures back in and closed both boxes, putting them back in his bag. He rummaged through it for a bit, ignoring the other gifts as he could check them out that night in his dorm, though he did slip on the necklace from Clint.

Agent Uncle wouldn't let him leave unless he had packed his bag to his specifications, leaving Hadrian with enough food and water rations, currency, and concealable weapons to last two months on the run.

Hadrian had just opened a chocolate chip granola bar when the door slid open to reveal a short girl with light brown hair done up in two braids and thin eyebrows. She didn't have any colored trim or tie yet so she was a first-year like him.

"Oh, hi," She sounded surprised like she hadn't expected to find anyone in the compartment. She relaxed a little when she noticed that he wasn't an older year and probably wouldn't kick her out. "Do you mind if I sit with you?"

Hadrian shrugged. "Not at all. Want granola?" He offered, holding his up for the show.

Her brow furrowed in confusion as she took a seat across from him. "What's granola?"

"A snack bar. They're usually really healthy, with nuts and berries, but I have some with chocolate and marshmallows if that's what you like." Hadrian explained. He pulled out an unopened bar and showed it to her.

She took it from his hand as she sat down across from him and read the ingredients written on the shiny wrapping. Hadrian was glad his aunties liked the all-natural ones as he really didn't want to get into a discussion about preservatives and whatnot.

"Do you have any with raspberries? They're my favorite." She finally asked a note of curiosity in her tone.

Hadrian nodded and rooted through his stash looking for one, tossing it to her, and catching the one she threw back at him. He watched her out of the corner of his eye while he shoved his snacks back in as she opened it and took a bite.

"This is really good. A bit chewy, though. I don't suppose you have some water on you, too? The trolley lady doesn't sell drinks."

Hadrian smiled and opened his bag again. "I have juice and water. I had my uncle put a few cooling charms on them."

"Apple juice?"

"Coming right up." Hadrian reached into his bag, noting that the girl's eyebrows rose at how far his arm went in but she didn't seem too surprised and pulled out a juice box. She thanked him and took it from his hand.