Chapter 8. You've Been Made, Cowboy

I stroll into the Stella with a confidence that surprises even me. Tex went ahead to sit down at a table and I clock him as I make my way past the stage. He's sat in one of the red vinyl booths, tapping away on his cell phone. He doesn't acknowledge me apart from giving me a lingering once-over in the way a normal patron would as I go by. I resist shooting him a glare for playing the part a little too well.

I make it almost to the changeroom when Hoyt steps into my vision. Today's offensively ugly shirt is Fanta orange with white stripes. One more button open and I'd see his naval. His eyes are black, his tongue flicks across his lip in a way that reminds me of a rat snake.

Your bite stings, but it doesn't kill.

"Janey." He purrs. If he's expecting me to cower in fear he's sorely disappointed. There's a lick of flame in my belly fueling every angry movement. I shove the wad of cash into his sweaty palm.

"Here. This is what I owe, plus some extra."

He counts through it. I feel eyes on the back of my neck, Tex is watching.

"How'd you get this?" Hoyt's eyes narrow.

My shrug is one-shouldered and venomous. "A friend."

"Friend." His tone implies I'm not good enough company to keep friends, which is almost as offensive as his cologne. "You whoring yourself out now?"

A long pause while I blink at him incredulously. "I'd be whoring myself out either way, Hoyt. Maybe I'm just being selective about the quality of dick I bend over for."

I can practically hear the grind of his jaw. "Watch your fucking mouth."

"I gave you your money. I'm done paying your protection fees, Hoyt. That's the last you'll get from me."

I try to step around him but he grabs me by the injured shoulder, sending a bolt of pain up and down my arm. For a startling moment, I think I might black out. 

"Making demands now? You're awful brave today."

"Stay away from me and my sister."

He laughs, a wheezing sound that he owes to years of cheap cigars. 

"You'll keep paying your fee."

"Or what? You'll slash my tires? Beat my face in?"

"Or I'll find a new way to persuade you." He leans in to whisper into my ear. "I think you'll really like this one. It involves taking you upstairs and"-

I manage to painfully wrench my arm from his grip without losing consciousness. Nausea roils in my belly. Hoyt's threats have reached new disgusting levels.

"You'll get your money." I hope Hoyt goes down before I have to ask Cash to pay it.

"Excellent. Don't think I don't have my eye on you, Janey."

I grit my teeth and meet his stare evenly, but say nothing more. He saunters up to the office, trailed by two of his guys. I'd bet my life he's going up there to stew and angrily do a line or something.

Cherry comes into the changeroom as I'm plastering concealer over my black eye. It's gone purple around the inner corner, spreading slightly green towards the middle. She gasps as she sees my reflection.

"What happened to you?"

"What do you think? Hoyt upped my protection fee without telling me."

"You were short." Cherry whispers. "Because of me. Did he"-

"No. Just beat the piss out of me and made some threats. It's okay. I have a plan."

"You get another job?"