Chapter 12: The Dungeon

Drops echoed, finding its way into the confines of chains and punishment. An unsettling cold held the stone, as their mere touch forced a shiver up every spine. A foul smell permeated the air, and any deep breath would force a gag upon the one who took it. Critters rushed over the ground in darkness, their limbs stuck to the dirt in search of some nourishment that did not seem to exist.

"Did you hear it?" Lucas asked, throwing his eyes to every corner of the cell, a beam of the sun's light the only source of illumination. "I know you must have heard it. I just know it."

"No," Paulus replied. "And stop asking me if I did."

"Can't believe that guard," Lucas said, stretching his neck back and forth and bringing about a multitude of loud cracks. "Don't know why I got into trouble too. I wasn't the one he caught out of the pillory. Why am I the one here that has to suffer? At least I can move my neck again... But, you should have said something!"

"All you had to do was wake me up," Paulus replied with a sigh. "Don't know how you couldn't manage that. And he wouldn't have listened to me."

"All you had to do was leave," Lucas said in frustration. "But, no... You wanted to stay. I don't even know why."

"Doesn't matter," Paulus replied, staring at the barren wall.

"Still not going to tell me?" Lucas pressed, seeming to grow frustrated by the thought. "Even now?"

Paulus was indifferent to the words, as he rose off of the ground and made his way to the door that kept him with his company locked up.

"You're not going to try to escape from here now?" Lucas asked with a hushed voice. "If this is what you get for trying to escape from the pillory—"

"Wasn't trying to escape," Paulus interrupted, yet his words seemed to have no bearing on his company.

"Think about it. What could be worse than sitting in a dark hole all alone—?"

"First, I'm not alone," Paulus explained. "I have your company."

"Ah, that's nice of you to say," Lucas replied, smiling happily.

"Not what I was saying," Paulus continued. "I'm saying, they are already doing the worst thing they can do to me right now. They have me trapped here with you. There is honestly not much more that can be done to make me suffer. Secondly, I'm not sitting, I'm standing. Because I don't want to sit anymore."

"I'm going to say, that's just the hunger talking," Lucas added. "I think they will bring us some food soon."

"No," Paulus continued. "That is the roaches and rats and anything else that is on the ground that is trying to grab me."

A lull filled the foul air, as Lucas cast his eyes all around him in search. "I don't see anything."

"Then stay down there," Paulus ordered, as he stood by the door.

"You know how much longer they are going to keep us down here?" Lucas asked, turning his attention to the critters that rushed by. "It won't be that much longer will it? It's already been a while... I think..."

"It will take what it takes," Paulus replied.

"That's not much of an answer," Lucas mumbled under his breath.

"I should remind you that we are in this situation because of your actions," Paulus explained pressing his back against the wall and finding some comfort against it. "If you hadn't been—"

"That was a long time ago," Lucas interrupted. "We should move on old man. Take each thing that happened and just forgive each other. That would be the best thing. Definitely."

"Did you just call me old man again?" Paulus asked.

"Yeah," Lucas replied with a laugh. "Just like the day we met. All things considered it was a pretty good day. I mean, not for the King, it was his funeral, but for everyone else it was pretty good. Don't you think?"

Paulus stared at him in silence, the only expression, an eyebrow raised. "I think you should just go to sleep."

"It's funny, but I'm not actually tired," Lucas replied with a laugh. "Funny right?"

"No," Paulus stated, the scowl on his face growing in the shadows and dark.

"You know, I heard that most people that find their way here have problems owing money," Lucas commented, once again trying to ignite a conversation with the spark of his thoughts. "Yeah, they apparently have not payed people back. I'm never like that. I always pay back what I owe. That's one of my rules. You got any rules?"

"No," Paulus replied, as yet again a silence consumed them.

"So, come on," Lucas said, continuing to press. "Tell me why you really didn't run away. You must have had a good reason. Right?"

Paulus turned and silently stared at him.

"Right?" Lucas asked.

"If I tell you, will you be quiet?" Paulus grumbled. "And before you answer, I mean, will you be quiet and not say another word to me until we are free from this place? Do you understand?"

A light laugh left Lucas' lips, as he grew a wide smile. "I knew it! Sure, I will be quiet. Not a word. Just silent and still."

"Fine, if you really want to know, I will tell you," Paulus said with a laugh. "When the guards caught us and were going to put us in the pillory, they took our stuff. I want what was mine back. Happy? Now be quiet, like you agreed."

"Wait!" Lucas shouted in disbelief. "Wait, wait, wait! They only took one thing from you! You wanted to get that back! You wanted to get back your purse! Wait, is that really it? I don't even know why? It was practically empty. Why would you wait for that?"

Paulus was silent, turning his eyes to the darkness and remaining in its still embrace.

"Oh, come on," Lucas pleaded.

"All your screaming and shouting is going to get us into real trouble," Paulus warned. "If I were you, I would be quiet. Before the punishment we get becomes more severe."

"What do you think they are going to do to us?" Lucas asked.

"If we're quiet, they will be better with us," Paulus explained, the words echoing in his ears. "They might listen to our plea. Then we will probably only get a few lashes before they kick us out."

"And if they don't?" Lucas asked back. "What if they don't?"

"Probably keep us here for a while longer before branding us, then give us a few lashes before kicking us out of the city," Paulus explained. "Just as long as they give me my purse back, I don't really care..."