Chapter 12: The mission

On the carrier, the aviators were standing up in lines. The solo pilots were on the right and next to them, the line of the pilots with their backseater.
They were all waiting for Maverick to make a decision. Snow-white was standing in front of Rooster, Hangman in front of her.

She knew she had a place secured on the mission, but who else was going to be there?

"It has been an honour flying with you." Maverick began his speech. "Each one of you represents the best of the best. This is a very specific mission. My choice is a reflection of that, nothing more."

"The plan remains the same except for one slight change. It will be three F-18 singles. Snow-White has proven to be valuable to this mission. In case one of you misses, she will be there as backup." Cyclone updated everyone, and Snow-white couldn't help but smile a little. She had proven herself to everyone. "Choose your two Foxtrot teams." He continued.

"Payback and Fanboy. Phoenix and Bob."

"And your wingman."

The silence was deafening, and everyone was eagerly waiting to find out.

"Rooster."

Snow-white looked back at him, smiling. He looked at Maverick, surprised, and then looked at me with a slight smile.

"The rest of you will stand by on the carrier for any reserve role that's required." Warlock announced. "Dismissed."

We all shook each other hands, complimenting each other, whether they were on the mission or in reserve.

"Your target is a clear and present threat. A secret uranium enrichment site under rogue state control. It's an underground bunker, tucked between these two mountains. " Warlock explained the mission again with a 3D map on the board. "Your route of ingress is heavily defended by surface-to-air missiles, backed up by fifth-generation fighters. Once your F-18 strike team crosses the border, Tomahawk missiles from the USS Leyte Gulf will launch a synchronized strike on the enemy's airfield here." He pointed at the map where we can see a runway.
"This will knock out their runway. But you'll have to contend with any planes already in the air. The moment those Tomahawks hit, the enemy will know you're coming. Your time to target will be two minutes and thirty seconds. Any longer than than, and you will be exposed to any aircraft the Tomahawks may have dismissed."

"This is what you've all been training for. Come home safely." Cyclone finished for him.

We made our way to our respective planes.

"You better make it back in one piece. Be careful out there." Phoenix approached Snow-white, Bob right behind her like a puppy.

"Hey, I'm not the one with a baby on board." She said, winking at Bob to which he smiled sheepishly at, lowering his head. They hugged each other quickly, and then Snow went to look for Rooster and Maverick.

"Rooster!" She shouted once she spotted him. He turned around and hugged her.

"Promise me that you'll come back to me." He demanded, looking into her eyes.

"What is this? The notebook?" Snow joked because of how much of a chick flick moment this was, but also because she knew he was scared even though he didn't want to admit it.

"Emily, promise me." He insisted. He was dead serious.

"I promise. You know I always keep my promises." She kissed him on the lips before heading towards Maverick. "I better get going." She walked up to her plane, which was right next to his.

"Captain!" Snow shouted to get his attention.

"Lieutenant!" He nodded politely at her.

"I need you to make me a promise." He nodded me for me to continue. "Promise me that no matter what happens to me, you'll get Rooster home safely. If you had to choose between saving me or Rooster, you'll choose him."