Chapter 7: The Legend of the Chamber

Later that day, Harry, Ron, Hermione and Charlie were in Transfiguration Class with Professor Mcgonagall after Charlie and Hermione had gotten over their embarrassment and Ron ended up not telling Charlie about how Hermione felt about him as he was only just teasing. "May I have your attention please?" she asked as the class went silent. "Now today, we'll be learning how to transfigure animals into water goblets. Like so." shen then took out her wand and pointed it at the bird-like creature that sat quite proudly on her desk. "Now, please repeat after me." She instructed as she flicked her wand downwards gently three times over. "1. 2. 3. Vera Verto." Instantly, the creature became a water goblet and the students were amazed. "Now, who wants to have a go?" she asked as she put her wand away and made her way over. "Mr Turner." she addressed Charlie . "Yes Professor?" he answered. "Would you please repeat what I just showed the class?" He nodded and took out his wand and repeated what Mcgonagall had done successfully. "Excellent work, Mr Turner. 5 points to Griffyndor." she happily announced. 

As she was about to sit down, Hermione raised her hand. "Yes, Miss Granger?" she asked. "Professor..." Hermione paused before continuing. "... I was wondering if you could tell us about the Chamber of Secrets." Mcgonagall looked at her as if she was crazy, but answered her anyway when all of the other students had shown their interest. "Very well." she started with before proceeding. "Well, you all know, of course, that Hogwarts was founded over a thousand years ago by the four greatest witches and wizards of the age. Now three of the founders coexisted quite harmoniously. One did not." she continued. "Three guesses who." Ron told Harry as Mcgonagall continued. "Salazar Slytherin wished to be more selective about the students admitted to Hogwarts. He believed magical learning should be kept within all-magic families. In other words, pure-bloods." Draco and Hermione shared a glare at each other. "Unable to sway the others, he decided to leave the school. Now, according to legend, Slytherin had built a hidden chamber in this castle, known as the Chamber of Secrets. Well, shortly before departing, he sealed it, until that time when his own true heir returned to the school. The Heir alone would be able to open the Chamber, and unleash the horror within, and by so doing, purge the school of all those who, in Slytherin had built a hidden chamber in this castle, known as the Chamber of Secrets. Well, shortly before departing, he sealed it, until that time when his own true heir returned to the school. The Heir alone would be able to open the Chamber, and unleash the horror within, and by so doing, purge the school of all those who, in Slytherin's view, were unworthy to study magic." 

"Muggleborns" interrupted Hermione as Mcgonagall pointed her wand at her in an affirmative gesture. "Well, naturally the school has been searched many times. No such Chamber has been found." Mcgonagall then made her way back over to her desk when Charlie spoke up. "Professor." he said as Mcgonagall turned around to face him. "What exactly does legend tell us lies within the Chamber?" "Well, the Chamber is said to be home to something that only the Heir of Slytherin can control. It is said to be home of a monster." Mcgonagall answered as Hermione and Charlie both felt a sense of dread as Ron looked horrified to see a smug grin on Draco's face looking directly at him. After that, Harry, Ron, Hermione and Charlie were all walking down the hallway." Do you think that there really is a Chamber of Secrets?" Ron asked and Hermione and Charlie nodded. "Yes." said Hermione. "The teachers are worried." Charlie added, then realised something. "I think that our theory about Malfoy might very well be correct. "Of course. Didn't you hear him? 'You'll be next mudbloods.'" Ron stated. Hermione and Charlie then took a look at each other. "Polyjuice Potion." they said in usion. "What's Polyjuice Potion?" Harry asked. "Come on. We'll tell you on the way." Charlie said as he, Hermione, Harry and Ron all left for the library.