Jegulus/Jily

~It's not really a TW, but this little story is a bit sad :)~

~Tiktok by @margareturtle~

June 20, 1979, 7am: Wedding of Lily Evans and James Potter

It was still early when James left the big stone building where Lily was still asleep. Just dressed in jeans and a T-shirt, he walked between the big trees of the property where they had decided to get married. The dew was still on the grass as he thought of everyone who would come to see them say yes, but also of everyone who would not come. James' friends (Sirius, Remus, and Peter, more often called Padfoot, Moony and Wormtall) would be there, of course. So would their respective parents. A few friends further away, like Alice and Frank Longbottom, Dorcas Meadowes, Marlene McKinnon, or Ted Tonks would be there.

But there was also everyone that didn't come. Severus Snape, with whom Lily had ended up losing all contact. Lily's sister, Petunia, who refused to come on account of her fear «of ending up bewitched by all these incredible stories». The truth was that she wanted to hide the existence of magic from her future husband, Vernon Dursley. But also, and that was the toughest thing for James, Regulus Black.

Lily and James' marriage is a marriage of friendship before being love. They promised themselves in first year that if he didn't find love before the end of their years in Hogwarts, they would marry together. Yet they were far from imagining that they would end up married.

It was so obvious to everyone in Hogwarts that Regulus and James loved each other, that no one imagined anything else. Although Sirius was at first very protective of his younger brother and furious with James, he himself had finally accepted their covenant. However, by October 1978, James had realized that his lover had the mark, nothing was ever the same.

Flashback: October 2, 1978, 10pm

Regulus was lying with his head on James' lap as he finished a potion assignment. He fell asleep slowly to the rhythm of his lover's breathing. He thought back to the drawing on his arm, which he had been forced to accept, in exchange for the life of his cousin Narcissa. She didn't even know what he had to do for her, yet he didn't regret saving her. The only thing he was afraid of was losing James because of that mark.

They had been back to Hogwarts for a month already. And Regulus still had not dared to tell his lover. When James had finished his work, he lay down on the couch where they were sitting, and Regulus landed against him. The Gryffindor had come to understand that something was being hidden from him and was determined to know what that evening.

- "Reg?" he asked.

- Hm?...

- What happened this summer that you don't dare tell me?

Regulus straightened himself up and looked at James, terrified. He felt the anguish knot his stomach.

- I..., began Regulus. I don't see... I mean, I'm not hiding anything from you, James...

- Regulus, I realize you didn't tell me about your vacation, and Sirius was surprisingly quiet when I told him about it too. Don't lie to me, Reg

The Black did not answer and lowered his head. He detached himself from the arms of his lover and the two simply sat side by side. Regulus looked at his left forearm and knew exactly what was under the sleeve of his sweater. James saw his lover's gaze, and he began to understand.

- Reg, please tell me I'm wrong...

- I think it would be a lie to you to say you're wrong, said the black man.

So, James grabbed his arm and rolled up the sleeve. The arm was still red because of the tattoo, even about a month later. The Gryffindor rose and retreated. As he began to tremble and cry, Regulus said: