Chapter 9 - Wayne Manor

The rest of June was a blur for Harry. In the two weeks left of the month he had been completely uprooted and placed in a totally new environment.

Somehow, Bruce convinced the Dursleys to put through the paperwork for Harry to go to America with them. Dick said Bruce had some 'connections', Harry was still not convinced this did not just involve Bruce throwing large amounts of money at people, and this made the paperwork apparently not take as long as it could have. Honestly, Harry wouldn't have minded, he and Dick had been hanging out during the days it took Bruce to do this, and it was already one of the most fun summers Harry had ever had.

When Bruce finally announced they were leaving for Gotham, where Bruce and crew apparently lived, Harry was a bit nervous about the plane ride. He had experience with flying using magical means, but he had never really understood how airplanes worked. Bruce had explained the science behind it to Harry, and while it was a bit reassuring to know a lot of thought was put into the process, words like 'fluid mechanics' and 'air flow' were not exactly comforting to Harry.

Despite not having any experience on a plane, Harry was pretty sure that it involved more tightly packed rows with little legroom and small packets of peanuts. He did not think it involved wide open spaces with comfortable couches and a fully loaded snack bar. Dick had acknowledged that while no, most people don't travel like this, but this was Bruce's plane, so of course it's nice. Harry may or may not have spit out the sip of soda he had just taken. He knew Bruce had money, but a whole plane? It was a bit ridiculous.

Once they landed, a nice customs agent who seemed to know Bruce greeted them and told them they were all set after very little fanfare. Harry thought the excess wealth was done until they were directed to a limo. Here Harry was introduced to the family butler, no joke they had a butler, who seemed more like a stern but doting grandparent than an employee, as well as the other boy, Tim, who was a couple years younger than him and was excited they were all back.

Harry thought nothing could surprise him more, but he changed his mind when they drove up the gated driveway to the grand manor that apparently he was supposed to stay in for the summer. Deciding that he should just accept that he was going to be horrified by the overt display of wealth, Harry was contentedly dragged on a tour by the younger inhabitants of the manor.

The tour was long, considering how large the house was, but Harry had a feeling that he hadn't even seen some of it. Some of it was just ridiculous, like the ballroom.

"What do you need a ballroom for?" Harry had asked, horrified awe in his voice.

Tim had looked at him like he was a moron. "For balls, obviously."

Dick laughed. "Don't worry, Harry. Bruce doesn't host too many parties, and you can probably find an excuse to get out of it if he does."

They had gone briefly outside, just to see the expansive grounds, and Dick had pointed out some trees that he liked climbing, and they were high enough to make Harry a little woozy. They stopped by the pool, the half basketball court, which Dick promised to teach him how to play, and a weird paved area with strange ramps which Tim said was for his skateboard and offered to teach Harry as well. Harry nodded along, but decided not to point out that maybe this was a bit excessive.

Harry was led inside and shown the kitchen, which they were shooed out from by Alfred since he was making dinner and did not want to be disturbed, and multiple living rooms with big comfy couches and needlessly large televisions. They showed him Bruce's office, which Harry felt like maybe they should have knocked but Dick barged right in. Bruce had a phone perched on his ear and was sitting behind the desk. Bruce made an exaggerated face twisted in pain, and Dick laughed at him having to suffer through business calls, and they were shooed out of there pretty quickly as well.