𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟒

Steve was honking his horn outside the Byers house, waiting to take me to school. I finished smoothing out Will's hair as Joyce rolled up the sleeves on his costume and my dad took a video of everything. Jonathan flinched at the horn as he handed me my backpack and said, "As much as I love to see you riding with such a gentleman, I could start taking you to school so you won't have to suffer."

I chuckled after I kissed Will on the head to say goodbye and retorted, "He's the one that has to suffer since I put my feet on his dashboard and turn on my music instead of his, I'm starting to get a little used to him anyway."

"Really? I didn't think you could lower your standards that much again"

"Oh shut up it's not like I'm falling for him, we have to get along a little if we're driving together everyday."

"Don't say I didn't warn you"

I sighed as I watched Johnathan hit the hood of Steve's car and Steve honk again. I got into the passenger's side and threw my backpack in between my legs, immediately changing the station. He groaned as "Jump" by Van Halen was replaced by "Back to the Old House" by The Smiths. It was comfortable silence for a few minutes until he reached a parking space and spat, "Get out before that nauseating perfume sticks to my poor car."

I reached into my backpack to get the bottle of Coco Chanel from the front pocket. I opened the door and said, "Remember you're taking me to that halloween party tonight." and sprayed it twice before I shut the door. I could hear muffled screams of colorful profanities but I just laughed it off. After I found Johnathan and told him about what I did, we ended up at my locker, standing behind Steve as he told Nancy the same thing.

"I'm telling you Nance she's a fucking nightmare, I can't stand this anymore. I know I was being nice when I offered her rides but it's too much. She's so weird and annoying, there's a reason I'm not the only one that's rejected her."

I rolled my eyes and took everything with me to first period, knowing I wouldn't get past them. I've learned to let those types of people roll off my shoulders, so it didn't even phase me.

(...)

The ride to the party was dead silent now that Nancy was riding with us. I watched as we passed little princesses and ninja turtles running through the streets, yearning to have some of my own someday. Nancy looked distressed and only stuck to her thoughts until we reached Tina's driveway and she got out before Steve could turn off the car. He sighed as he turned the key, falling back in his seat looking annoyed.

I put my head next to his headrest and whispered, "If I were you, I would get some alcohol in her before you never get some from her again." He jumped as I shook him from his thoughts and rolled his eyes.

"Get out"

"Thank you again for this wonderful opportunity sir, I would hate to ever be a bother"

I mocked him in a British accent before I slammed the door closed, hoping he would know that I was referring to this morning. I could feel the lung cancer fill my lungs as I coughed out the second-hand smoke of whoever was puffing it in my face, headed straight for the punch bowl. After my first cup, Nancy walked over to get herself one.

"Are you all good?"

"Yeah why wouldn't I be?"

"No reason, you just seemed tense in the car"

"Well maybe I'm just tired of being the only one that cares about anything in this town besides the bottom of a beer can or the butt of a cigarette, sorry for trying to rise above my nuclear family"

I raised my hands in surrender as she chugged her cup and poured another, only to find it empty a second time. Steve walked up, looking ready to blame me for her anger, and I just escaped to the backyard. I sipped my "pure fuel", as the sweaty toga guy referred to it, and watched a bunch of idiots try to beat Billy's keg stand record, only to inhale it and get beer in their faces as they choked.

"I could make you choke like that if you'd let me honey"

I expected it to be Billy trying to get me mad, but it was the creepy guy from my computer science class instead. His greasy, long black hair stuck to his forehead as his clammy hands tried to brush back my own hair. I swatted him away and said, "Not interested", trying to distract myself with Tommy's keg stand.

He continued to harass me, his hand was almost completely down my jeans, when someone threw him into the wall. I pulled them up by the belt loops, completely flustered and embarrassed, when I saw Steve towering over him. He opened his mouth to say something when he left to stop Nancy from drinking more punch.

I didn't wait around for Greg to get his hand up my shirt after the jeans didn't work out. I saw Johnathan standing near the door, talking to a girl from his Spanish class that he's talked about. I practically ran to him as the tears burned the corners of my eyes and my heart was beating out of my chest.

"Oh hey Kayla, I- what's wrong? Slow down...he what? Where the fuck is he?"

I put my arms around his waist to stop him from finding him and said, "It's not worth it, I just wanna go home."

Just as he grabbed his keys from his pocket, Steve pushed past us on the verge of tears. I remembered seeing his walk up there with Nancy, so I told Johnathan to check on her while I checked on him.

I had to run to catch him before he left the lawn, which wasn't a good idea since he almost threw me into the tree, not sure of who was grabbing his arm.

"What the hell happened up there? Are you okay?"

"It's none of your damn business"

"I'm just trying to help, did something happen with Nancy?"

"Why would you care? I'm only your free chauffeur"

"Forget that I'm still a person that you saved from a creep earlier"

"Yeah a nosy little bitch that I regret saving"

"You have some real fucking nerve Harrington, I hope you know that I heard everything you said to Nancy about me this morning. I mean it's just one thing after another and as soon as I think you're a decent person, you turn on me"

"Well think again because I'm done giving you rides and dealing with you all together. Also I hope you know that Nancy agreed with everything I said this morning"

"You douchebag" was the last thing I said to him before I let go of his arm and stepped back. I watched his tires burn against the concrete, not sure if my hands were shaking from anger or anxiety.